SOG sharpening angles...help

I want to get a proper sharpening system that will allow me to sharpen at the proper OEM angles for my growing collection of blades.

Question: What angle are my SOG Aegis and Trident blades set at?

Is there a place on the forum that will show me the proper angles for other brands I have such as Gerber and Buck?

I moonlight at a sporting goods store that sells Lansky sharpening systems. I want to get one but I want to ensure I buy once and "right".

Anyone in the SOG world have any advice? Thx

Gatorglockman, I have read that the angles on most of their pocket knives are set at 20 degrees per side. So, that is what I sharpen my Vulcan and Tomcat and Visionary at. It works fine for me.

I just bought the SOG Keytron, and I can tell you with great certainty that the angle at which they sharpen the blade is the exact angle that one would sharpen a butter knife. Or a child safe letter opener. Or possibly a spoon. It's about as sharp as the edge of a penny.
On one hand I'm very disappointed because this is the first SOG Did I have purchased for my collection and I was expecting far greater quality. But on the other hand I am an avid knife collector with a wide array of sharpening stones and I'm always eager to hone my skills and all the blades I can get my hands on. But still I expected the blade to be able to cut right out of the package. One of the first tests I always give a blade after I sharpen it, or brand new out of the package, is the cigarette butt test. It's straightforward, somewhat challenging and it doesn't have to be razor sharp. But if it can cut through a fresh new cigarette filter, cleanly, with minimal pressure, without ripping and leaving ragged fibers and paper, it's got a decent edge on it. Or at least a good starting point that makes it look like somebody cared.
But this SOG Keytron was a major disappointment it didn't pass the, " cigarette filter challenge ". It left a ragged, frayed, fibery, mess. It wouldn't shave my forearm. And it failed the, "edgewise paper challenge"as well, it tries to cut the paper edgewise but immediately goes to ripping it, everyone should know what I'm talking about.
But again I like sharpening blades so I'm not going to complain that much.

Back