Solingen 2013 knife show : best fixed blade to Karl-Heinz Koob

As some of you may know it, I focus on integral knives and I claim Karl-Heinz Koob is definitely the best maker in the world for that specific type of knives. He gets a well deserved award during the latest Solingen knife show in may. He seems to be back on the playground and this is a good news... Here's the knife : "Taitafalk-Anatomic", RWL 34 interframe full-integral, rhino bone insert (not sure). The sheath is made of 60 years old leather from an old tannery.

As some of you may know it, I focus on integral knives and I claim Karl-Heinz Koob is definitely the best maker in the world for that specific type of knives.

Epic failure in claim....ever heard of Ted Dowell?

Integral construction, Ted did the sheaths as well...made between 1970 and 1990.

School being over, Mr. Koob makes a very attractive knife, wonderful curves, fit and finish.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Claiming being the best of the best might be a bit steep, but I handled several of Koob's knives (a friend of mine collects them) and he is indeed among the best for this type of knife.

Marcel

Steven,

When I say I focus on integral knives, I'm serious. I do my homework for 20 years. I own several Dowell's and I look at every Dowell coming on the market (I try to anyway). He's definitely the father of modern integral knives, and he made some wonderful knives. But what Koob does and the way he does it is on a higher level.

Steven,
When I say I focus on integral knives, I'm serious. I do my homework for 20 years. I own several Dowell's and I look at every Dowell coming on the market (I try to anyway). He's definitely the father of modern integral knives, and he made some wonderful knives. But what Koob does and the way he does it is on a higher level.

I'm not doubting your passion or commitment to your pursuit.

I do question your exposure to the Dowell's of this caliber, because I have never seen any produced at this level outside of Phil Lobred's collection....have you? The two examples above are simply exceptional....light, balanced and some of the finest knifework I have ever seen, integral or not.

Post up some more examples of Mr. Koob's work and let us all see for ourselves(at least the photos).

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Steven,

Salve Patrick

I do agree with you about the outstanding quality of the the integrals of Karl-Heinz Koob. In the meantime i have 8 integrals from him :D His style and fit/finish is stunning. Really all his knives are *handmade* when it comes to the finish on his knives.

regards

Wim

very slick work. I really like that sheath too.

I'm going to stay out of the discussion about who is the best... ;)

But I've seen some of Mr. Koobs work, and I must say I was impressed!

The award on the Solingen show was well-deserved!

Kind regards,

Jos

What is it about saying he is the best.
I only can say he is my favourite maker when it comes to integrals.:)
But you have to see his small integrals with english scroll engraving by Heinz Funk from Eckernfoerde/Germany
For information please visit his website : www.koob-messer.de

Wim (from NL)

Last edited:
I'm not doubting your passion or commitment to your pursuit.

I do question your exposure to the Dowell's of this caliber, because I have never seen any produced at this level outside of Phil Lobred's collection....have you? The two examples above are simply exceptional....light, balanced and some of the finest knifework I have ever seen, integral or not.

Post up some more examples of Mr. Koob's work and let us all see for ourselves(at least the photos).

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I've heard of Phil Lobred (who doesn't when you actually have interest for knives !) and I saw the knives from his collection he displays on his website or in books or that were posted here for years. I'd like to know him in person and I'd love to come to AKI show... but San Diego is quite a far trip from Paris ! Anyway I have to admit : the Dowells I ever had in my hands are the "standard" production, made to be used, not the art pieces you mention. I give you the point.

Regarding Koob, why do I say he's the best in that style ? Making an integral is quite painful. All makers who ever tried admit this. Making it flawless is a challenge because if you screw up something you screw up the entire knife. You can't just make the same piece again. Getting the right curves may be very difficult because you always work on the whole knife, and you can't access where you want as easily as with a non integral construction. Making something absolutely symmetrical from a single billet of steel (even if you use a CNC machine for the first work) is another painful thing. Last but not least, a blade has to cut. To my opinion, the old school hollow grind with secondary bevel is less efficient than a zero grind flat or convex edge. Kressler's knives have great fit and finish but have sometimes symmetry issues. They always have a secondary bevel, and they are not very comfortable in the hand. He made the first integral big bear, though, which was a technical achievement and a masterpiece. Dowell's are flawless as well, but they are made of D2 or 440 steel, hollow ground and secondary bevel. Overall lines and design are gorgeous, but also quite simple. There's no major technical issue in his knives, at least regarding the hunters (not speaking about the art pieces Steven showcased).

On Koob's, everything is close to perfection : symmetry, fit and finish, grinding and edge, technical achievements due to the design, feeling in the hand, balance, steel, etc. Then you have to like the design, which remains something personal. But technically speaking, I've never seen an integral knife that compares to them.

I'm going to post some pictures now.

Btw Patrick congrats with this fine piece ;)I had it in my hands in Solingen. Really stunning

Wim

Hi Wim, it's not mine. I would have bought it if I could, but I commissioned a big subhilt from Koob, that is actually by Alain Lovenberg for engraving before it gets his interframe handle.

Sorry, but never mind.
Yes i saw the subhilt before going to Belgium. Lovenberg is a very artistic engraver.How many time he will take for the engraving?

Wim

Patrick, that's a fine piece from a maker I didn't know of until now. I'm curious to hear the reasons that you place Koob's work over Bennica...an example is the lapis squale you referred to in this post.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/664589-Show-Me-Your-Sub-Hilts!!!/page2

Granted, I don't have the luxury of handling the Koob piece, but I see more design and the result of applied skill in the Bennica pieces.
I'm asking an honest question...not throwing a stone.

Thanks

You're right : Bennica's integral knives are absolutely flawless and they are all on the top from a technical point of view. I'm not fond of his designs though, and he stopped creating new designs for years : his knives follow always the same lines, the same 5 or 6 designs. Koob didn't and keep working on new projects, new issues. That's the only reason why I place Koob over Bennica.

Back