Some knife destruction testing ended early... FORNOW#%@

sloth357

Platinum m0f0
yo. I back Daniel and his knives. I think he offers great knives at extremely reasonable prices.. anyhow. I bought the crazy choil knife. It's 1/8in thick and about 4inch blade. A very utilitarian styled blade. Overall thin and feels good in hand..

So I wanted to test this knife, and a few others. I randomly began with the crazy choil knife.. and immediately damaged the knife edge O_O After talking to Daniel about the knife and what happened, he said he had HT'd it differently than most his knives. This one was treated for mostly slicing..

This makes sense after seeing how another of his knives held up to the same abuse with no edge damage. SO.. I'm tired and need more brew, but to end this story.. I decided to put a convex edge on it, remove the coating, and add 2 more jimps and clean up the others, as well as make the tip straight so now it can really be used as a flat tipped chisel and well, CHISEL! also hand sanded and finished edge by hand after most work done on cheapo belt sander wannabe.

Below are the photos of the knife and what I was chopping and batoning into that did the damage.. really old aged/dried pine. 3/4in thick. All other 4 knives did this with no edge damage and still were SHARP. Now the crazy choil is much sharper o_O and has earned it's place as my go-to shop/garage/home/yard utility knife.. basically all arounder for most tasks I'll encounter. sweeeeet! (burp)

Attachments

• P1020460_resize.jpg
    P1020460_resize.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 37
  • P1020388_resize.jpg
    P1020388_resize.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 33
  • P1020467_resize.jpg
    P1020467_resize.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1020471_resize.JPG
    P1020471_resize.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P1020396_resize.JPG
    P1020396_resize.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for posting this, it helps me a lot. That was in my very first batch of steel that I heat treated and I know major improvements can be made. I told you I thought the blade was too hard and thin for batoning but I may have been wrong, it almost looks more like a rolled edge than chipping but I really can't tell.

I want to see the ones that made it through the batoning. I tempered the mini poon to be more of a slicer so that tells me a lot that it batoned well also.

The work you did on the knife looks great, nice job! You told me you were still happy with it even though there was edge damage but if you ever change your mind let me know and it will be taken care of.

Thanks again for posting this!

Back