Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are outlining precisely why I don't know who this guy is or watch knife review videos. IMO, 99% of them absolutely suck. Very few people make good videos. When a review on BF is in the form of a video, I pass on it. It drives me crazy to waste 10 or 15 min of my life, when a well written review I can read in a minute or two, and it's much faster to review a written review then try to find it in a video. Not to mention search on words.
Picture a pudgy dork in a batman mask with a fake jersey accent for several minutes and using kitchy "catch phrases" and thats it. Not worth looking up past that

Like him or not, nutnfancy is more than happy to give a bad review to a product he finds bad.

As for shabazz? I have no use for his vids. We like different things, we work and live in different environments, and i find more than his affect fake about him. Ive met him in person. Hes not someone id spend time with there either. In general, youtube vids are worth exactly what you pay for them. His included. But, if it helps you find what you want? Im all for it!

I can’t stand nutnfancy! For some reason that guy and his super tactical “philosophy of use” crap gets under my skin.
He’s probably a great guy, but no thanks. I can’t watch his videos.

LTK (Luvthemknives) is great. I have had a few discussions with him about knives. I would definitely have a beer with him! 🤣

I like Nick’s videos. He seems to try to put out good content.

Stassa23 is about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
396 posts on thoughts on Nick Shabazz. Who'd have thought it possible?

Seems like a nice guy to me. Entertains and informs in equal measure. It's easy enough not to watch his videos if they aren't your thing. I tend to look at 'em when I'm interested in a particular knife and would like a bit more info.

I don't see the man as controversial or in any way detrimental to knives in particular or general. He has opinions, as do we all.

Can't wait to see the next 396 posts.
This. I don't watch every video, but Knifecenter and Shabaz and others give me an idea of what is out there and trends etc and it's all condensed. It takes effort to produce videos. Life is about gathering information, don't have to agree with everything we hear, but if we listen there is usually something of benefit to be had.

Video reviews of a knife on a desk are just plain dumb. I'd prefer pictures. Video TESTING of a knife physically being used is a good thing.
I have never understood, someone buying a knife, and doing a 5 minute video on how great it feels. Use the dang thing for 5 years and then do a review on how great it is. That I will watch.

As for this Nick guy, he is no different than tons of other youtubers. I respect the opinions of hard core knife fans on this forum way more than any bobble head on youtube. Having said that if one of our forumites is doing videos, I would watch that for sure. Also, not a fan of nutnfancy. He is part of the youtube tacticool group. They talk more than they listen and that is typically a sign of ignorance.

I LOVE NICK SHABAZZ! (Ahem, in a tough, manly, brotherly sort of way 😉). Seriously, he is a PRO presenter with a very quick wit, his own unique style, and a great deal of knowledge to share. You can telI by some of his quick improv that this is a smart guy. I value his input and opinions and find him highly entertaining (I often literally LOL - anyone seen those reviews of the bags of TSA-seized ‘gas station’ knives he does? Hilarious!). I’ve also learned a lot from his disassembly videos and all the tips he gives along the way.

Other than in this thread, I haven’t heard anyone complaining about him, but even if some are - ‘haters gonna hate’ - what can you do? To me, it made me sad to read some of the cold negativity in this thread - even if he’s not your favorite, no reason to be nasty! For people complaining he isn’t using/testing the knives before review - NOT TRUE; he OFTEN comments on how he EDC’d the knife a period of time BEFORE the review. Also, I don’t need him to use the knife “for 5 years” (as Cobalt said above) before giving his impressions/opinions - by then the knife is discontinued already! He doesn’t have to go full “Joe-X” on a knife before having an opinion. Sometimes he does unboxing/initial impressions videos on new knives, but he tells you that upfront.

And enough complaints about his accent already! His accent is part of what makes him unique and fun to listen to. Does everyone have to talk like Mr. Rogers? Is this some new form of ethnocentrism? Maybe we’ll call it “articulocentrism” - everyone has to talk like they’re from the West Coast of the US or else they’re unacceptable! No knife reviewers from the East Coast or Southern US are allowed - and definitely nobody from India, Australia, Japan, England, Africa, Jamaica, South America - or anywhere else except those with a West Coast USA accent are allowed to do knife reviews. Otherwise, I’ll have to start clutching my pearls and quickly turn it off! Also, everyone can only drive beige Toyota Corollas or else it’s just too much color on the road for my precious eyes to handle!

Each reviewer has their own style, emphasis, and system/procedure to do their review. We can watch a few of these reviews and get a good impression of a particular knife. To me, Nick Shabazz is like a classic fixture in the knife community - like Metal Complex, Apostle P, or Cedric & Ada. As far as I’m concerned, Nick Shabazz ROCKS, and I’m grateful for all the time and effort he and others like him put in to educate and entertain so many of us!

If Nick ever reads this - thanks bro! 😎👍

Last edited:
Nick Shabazz is highly amusing, and a very good sport. A few of his vids have made me laugh out loud. They usually raise a few grins, and that is a good thing.

I wonder how much of his excellent innuendo flies way over the head of how many viewers...

He’s very bright.
This is so true - sometimes I smile or laugh awhile after what Nick says because it takes me some time to get it! I'm always amazed how fast he can think and talk and come up with jokes or funny expressions. Some of the best comics are like this - I think of Robin Williams - that guy was a genius man - one-of-a-kind talent and SO FUNNY! You could especially see this when he was being interviewed and did some improv responses to the interviewer - he had an amazingly unique brain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back