Sorry, but how do you pronounce "Boker?"

Ravaillac
You are right . Actually it is an o with "umlaut" pronounced as eu.
So the proper pronounciation would be Beuker. Spelled :
Böker.

And all of this depends on where you're at when pronouncing their name.

mike

That's true. Location makes a difference. As an American, I pronounce it with the long "o" sound, like in "broken" or "poker". I think Maarten is correct as to the German pronunciation. I think it's sort of an ooh or oy sound.:confused:

Ahh, so like "broker" without the "r". I've always pronounced it "bah-ker". Now i know=p

Wait, it gets better!:D Two sites I checked said that the o with umlaut is pronounced like the "i" in "sir" or the "u" in "turn", so...I guess the German would be sort of like "Birker" or "Burker" with the "r" part clipped. Confused yet?:p

I am from German descent and my relatives with an " oe " in their
name pronounce it with a long ' a '. Like Baker.
The English language really murders up pronunciations.

mike

A German teacher told me that an O with an umlaut is pronounced by forming the lips in a tight circle as though one were going to pronounce O, but instead to pronounce E with the lips still in the O position. The first syllable comes out sounding something like the word BEER, but without the R.

BOKER in English (like Poker)
Böker in German (Beukar)
Whichever, still tremendous value in my view!

I am from German descent and my relatives with an " oe " in their
name pronounce it with a long ' a '. Like Baker.
The English language really murders up pronunciations.

mike

yeah it does. but only when we aren't screwing up our own language. for instance, my HUGE pet peeve is the constant use of the word "like" or when someone ends EVERY sentence with: "you know"

I do speak french but you guys should here them speak outside the Paris area . They tend to have very strange rural accents in certain parts of the country . Even properly adducated in the language i could make no sence.... Especially in the South of France and even in the South of the Netherlands they speak accents i don't understand...So no worries mates as the aussies tend to say.:)

Your english or our dutch/ german pronounciation don't matter as long as we know what we are talking about... LOL;)

You english americans don't have the eu vowel combination so you can't let it sound german unless you are a native german speaker . See it as me trying to speak chinese or arabic languages.

hey, I don't know phoenetics...so is it "beau-ker" or "bawh-ker" or "bocker"?

yeah it does. but only when we aren't screwing up our own language. for instance, my HUGE pet peeve is the constant use of the word "like" or when someone ends EVERY sentence with: "you know"

Yeah, like you know, I hear people talk like that all the time, well
any rate, you know, i like try not too. :D

mike

Back