SP-51s back on a limited production cycle?

Are SP-51s back on a limited production cycle?

I just got my panic buy one worried they might start disappearing after seeing a price spike on Amazon. I ordered a new SP-51 from where I got my first one and the box read SP-51 Sept 15. This is way after the announcement they were discontinued.

So hopefully OKC will keep this knife in limited production runs?

It truly is a great all round big knife task blade! Way better than my flat grind RD9 and only my SP-53 is a better chopper. So far its been my main wood processing blade. My SP-53s are already mostly doing the clearing jobs now and are great at it along with more woodsy craftity stuff probably because of the way its ground. But the SP-51s I use are easier to use with the straight blade for wood and other tasks, probably just me. I also find I got to dig out the SP-10 when I forget to bring one for any help that comes with me.

My only complaint about the SP-51 as it has no thumping and wumping hilt! ~hint~ ~hint~
One reason I pack an RD along with it.

The SP-51 is probably one where we had already cut some blades when we sunset the item. You'll see that from time to time - product is done, but we still have parts so we'll build them.

Awww that's sad to hear, its probably the most used knife I got, so I'm glad I got it when I did! Really its a great all round knife.

People should get them while they can! Amazon boosted them to over $100 a knife but other places they still can be found a bit cheaper.

I've got a SP50 on order, might have to get the 51 as well while they're still available.

Trust me you'll like it for a lot of general tasks!

Take a look at Gideons tactical U-tube, it made me decide between the SP-51 and SP-50. Later on he does a SP-50 review and asks "What is the Big Deal?" The SP-50 is a good knife its just that the SP-51 is better is all for what its made for. Its just a better chopper and batoner. I like the straight edge and its the right size for handling most woodsy stuff.

But to note the SP-53 is better at chopping of course, its grind is a little better for "Bushy" cross over stuff. But I got my SP-51 for wood processing and also chopping when needed that works better than my flat grind RD-9. Also the SP-51 is easier to touch up the blade and such when in the woodsy arena. The SP-53 does some things a bit better, but the SP-51 handles a bit better for batoning with the flatter edge. Some thing about the length and size of the blade makes it "Just right" for me I guess. I couldn't decide what one to get originally then I did the American Thing. And got BOTH a few times each. :D

I would of got a Woodsman, but the flat grind, lack of a thumping and whumping hilt (hence my liking the RD9), the handle would of put me off but some taping would fix the slipperiness (so that was negative factor I decided that wouldn't of been a negative, it may of taken away the "Lookticool" of the knife but it would make it safer for field use) and the fact that SP-51s aren't being made any more I got a spare SP-51 just for the bug out bag.

I just had to add the SP-10 is a good more affordable option. My "Beater" blade has filled in nicely doing many tasks when I misplaced the other main duty blades at times.

Last edited:
Yup, the SP-51 ROCKS !!! Yes, the SP-53 is a better chopper. I love them both. The SP-8 is a GREAT blade/tool as well. I modded the sawback with my dremel tool. Sharpened up the teeth & made irregular angle notches in the teeth with a cut off wheel. I now works 100x better. Does not plug up nearly as much.

Last edited:
Yes that they do! But the main one I keep grabbing is the SP-51 first when doing general purpose stuff. The others are great all round tools themselves, but the SP-51 I grab for if I remembered to bring the others. :D

Note: When heavy chopping for a dedicated trail clearing, the SP-53 makes the job easier over the SP-51, well because its a bolo profile.

Well I'm not going to cancel my SP50 order but after seeing the reviews for the 51 I'm definitely ordering one if not two of them :thumbup:

Well I'm not going to cancel my SP50 order but after seeing the reviews for the 51 I'm definitely ordering one if not two of them :thumbup:

Good move Boru !
You can always get the sp50 later
Maybe even a bushcraft woodsman !

Doing the American Thing of getting BOTH?!? Good for you! :D:thumbup:

I got flat grinds with my RD7s and RD9 and RD6s, figure that covers things there especially with that RD9 some times liked more when loaned out for the thumping and whumping hilt. I think a saber grind RTAC type knife with 1/4" 5160 would be great! With a solid bigger hilt of course for thumping and whumping. Or an RD9 type with a SP-51 type blade.

Oh good pictures! As one can see the eloquent simplicity of the a basic knife form of the SP-51 with a 1/4" blade with a saber grind making it one heck of a durable properly heat treated 5160. Its basic knife form and its size makes it able to do a lot of bigger knife jobs with ease! Its also a great chopper (yes SP-53 is better) and a heck of a batoner. As my usual complaint there is no thumping and wumping hilt (hence I pair it with an RD6), other wise its a great all round heavy use large knife.

I'd like to see an RTAC II profile of the SP-51 or an RD SP-51 profile of it. Yes it would be "heavy" but it is a heavy use knife type to begin with!

Yeah I'm an SP-51 fan. Hope 3 is enough I gots. :D

Back