Spartan Blades: Bill Harsey Designed Hunter & Difensa, and the Phrike (VERY Pic Hvy)

Could anyone post comparative pictures of the Hunter and Difensa together please?

Not my photo, just one I found.

From top to bottom

Horrigan Bowie
Spartan / Harsey Model-I
Spartan / Harsey Model-I
Spartan / Harsey Model-II
Spartan / Harsey Difensa
Spartan / Harsey Hunter

10363875_10204539157784638_5194013455657531760_n.jpg

Brilliant, thank you.

No problem. The Hunter and Difensa are very similar in profile, but the Difensa has a 6 inch blade versus the 5 inch Blade of the Hunter, and the Difensa has a flat saber grind, and the Hunter has a hollow grind done by Bill Harsey himself. Both are 3/16 CPM S35VN.

The great news to me this year is that Spartan and Bill are teaming up again to do a Spartan version of Bill's Tactical Trout Knife, which is a smaller version of the Hunter. I have been on the list for one of Bill's hand made ones for a year now, and I'm not sure how many are ahead of me. I may have to get one of the Spartan versions to hold me over :)

Oh wow, that sounds great, I can't wait to see it. Any idea of dimensions?

Last edited:
Oh wow, that sounds great, I can't wait to see it. Any idea of dimensions?

I think Bill has done them in 4 and 4.5 inch blades maybe, not remembering all I have seen. I asked for mine with a 4 inch blade. Not sure what Spartan is going with on these yet. Here are a few shots I got from Bill of hand made models.

30390_107267942651531_4172829_n.jpg

30390_107267945984864_7457918_n.jpg

10357132_767626836615635_1693387484161660591_n.jpg

1399351_642733632438290_3223324_o.jpg

There's some pictures of that Tactical Nessmuk being used in this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Mystery-Ranch-Dragon-Slayer-as-a-hiking-pack

I've been enjoying reading and referring to this thread for some time now, I think it might have been one of the threads that got me into Blade Forums to begin with. And now you provide me with news that the Tactical Trout might end up a Spartan product. That is awesome news! :D

There's some pictures of that Tactical Nessmuk being used in this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Mystery-Ranch-Dragon-Slayer-as-a-hiking-pack

I've been enjoying reading and referring to this thread for some time now, I think it might have been one of the threads that got me into Blade Forums to begin with. And now you provide me with news that the Tactical Trout might end up a Spartan product. That is awesome news! :D

Yes, Piter has some very nice knives. I have seen a lot of his pics on face book.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the post! Oh, it's more than a might, I've seen the CAD drawings, I believe the proto will be at Blade, and they go into production immediately following Blade, and I cannot wait :)

That is exciting news. This whole thread has been great. Thank you for your reviews and pictures.

Just found this thread. Very well written and I really enjoy reading it.

Mistwalker- any plan to do a review on the Akribis?

Hey Mistwalker, do you have any inside info on the new T2's? Bill told me (via Facebook, in response to a review I wrote on the Lone Wolf T2) that the T2 was coming back and he had just finished prototype work on the new ones, but he didn't tell me who was making them.

My hope is that it will be Spartan, because I think they would do a great job. Though I imagine a Spartan T2 would be rather more expensive than the old Lone Wolfs. I would just like to be able to get a back-up/one-with-a-less-pretty-handle-for-rougher-work version of my favorite knife.

Edit: I could just ask Bill, but that wouldn't be any fun ;)

Thank you for the great review, mistwalker. I treated myself to a Spartan/Harsey Hunter and I am not disappointed.
I have my eye on the Spartan Horrigan Bowie, but cannot seem to find a comprehensive review about it - anyone here have experience with that particular blade or could point me in the direction of a review?
Much obliged.

Thank you for the great review, mistwalker. I treated myself to a Spartan/Harsey Hunter and I am not disappointed.
I have my eye on the Spartan Horrigan Bowie, but cannot seem to find a comprehensive review about it - anyone here have experience with that particular blade or could point me in the direction of a review?
Much obliged.

Thanks for chiming in Horus. My Hunter is one of my all time favorite knives. I inquired about those myself recently. I am not aware of any review of it. They do not have any in stock at Spartan and I am pretty sure they won't have anymore coming.

Spartan Harsey Hunters are getting finish ground at Bill's place as of 6/18/2015. :D Good times ahead:thumbup:

11137188_975844275793889_2567161751461883322_n.jpg

Last edited:
Spartan Harsey Hunters are getting finish ground at Bill's place as of 6/18/2015. :D Good times ahead:thumbup:

11137188_975844275793889_2567161751461883322_n.jpg

Yeah, Bill is one of my friends on face book and we have talked in messages and at shows several times. The man is extremely talented, and does an amazing job on the grinds of the Hunter. Bill is not only an excellent knife maker, he is a fine human being. He, Curtis, and Mark make a heck of a knife making team.

Yeah, Bill is one of my friends on face book and we have talked in messages and at shows several times. The man is extremely talented, and does an amazing job on the grinds of the Hunter. Bill is not only an excellent knife maker, he is a fine human being. He, Curtis, and Mark make a heck of a knife making team.

+1K. He's one of my friends on FB as well. He has been a savior many times where knife issues have me frustrated. He always takes the time to explain exactly what is happening so I can understand and correct what is wrong with much more effectiveness. Thank you for the review...as if I "needed" another reason to pick up a knife bearing his name. (most of my favorite knives and designs feature his name...apparently rightfully so) :)

Yes indeed. The man is a mensch. And the cool things he does go far beyond knife making, though you would never know it from the self-depreciating way he presents himself.

Back