Spearhead!!!!

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I had a couple of ideas for spearheads bouncing around in the imagination lately. I’ve been thinking of designs that allow you to carry the head and attach it in the field. Kind of a survival fantasy piece really. Here’s one I started today. It’s based roughly off a Hudson Bay Company pattern I found on a Google search. I ran with the ideas and used some 1/4in 5160 for my blade. I added two tie down holes and I fluted the tang similar to Clovis style points. My spearhead is intended more as a lance or thrusting spear. Not as a thrower. It’s about 11in overall with about a 6 3/8in blade. The blade is 1 9/16in wide. Hopefully I can find a nice stick to try it out on next time I’m in the woods.

IMG_4071.jpegIMG_4073.jpeg

Here is another idea I had. G try his method be is sort of like the Mountain Man throwers but intended as a spearhead. It of course could actually serve as a knife too👍 Made from .200in 5160 with flat ground bevels. I added a quick wrapped handle so it can travel with some cord. It’s 11 1/2in overall with about a 6 3/8in cutting edge. The blade is about 1 7/8in wide.

IMG_4075.jpeg

Anything you make will be a hit for sure. When I used to hunt feral hogs with knives in TX, I met a couple of guys who used thrusting spears. Your ideas would be fun to put to work.

I’ve considered it but I need to practice with the hammer and forge a lot more. The CS Bushman is right up my alley on this idea👍 I’ve seen some stupid #*$t done with them and they are inspiring to say the least! A socket is super easy to mount and if you add a pin or set screw, extremely secure.

I’ve considered it but I need to practice with the hammer and forge a lot more. The CS Bushman is right up my alley on this idea👍 I’ve seen some stupid #*$t done with them and they are inspiring to say the least! A socket is super easy to mount and if you add a pin or set screw, extremely secure.
Right on Bill!

Well I made another one! This time I grabbed a piece of 5160 .200in thick. It’s the one on the right hand side in the pic. I went a little shorter on the tang and ended up chopping some off the 1/4in version to match. I’ve also added a simple 2in radius to the rear of the tang. It matches many of the Clovis points I’ve seen. Might help center the point during mounting too. The weight difference isn’t too noticeable at 10.5oz and 8oz. Doesn’t feel that different in hand. I need to make a pattern for this design I think 👍

IMG_4079.jpeg

Well I made another one! This time I grabbed a piece of 5160 .200in thick. It’s the one on the right hand side in the pic. I went a little shorter on the tang and ended up chopping some off the 1/4in version to match. I’ve also added a simple 2in radius to the rear of the tang. It matches many of the Clovis points I’ve seen. Might help center the point during mounting too. The weight difference isn’t too noticeable at 10.5oz and 8oz. Doesn’t feel that different in hand. I need to make a pattern for this design I think 👍

View attachment 2355437
I love it! I don’t hunt hogs anymore since I live in AK, but the idea of putting a kydex sheath on the blade, with a really nice 6’ shaft on that for a hiking staff would be pretty awesome. Even if never needed for anything, it would keep a person smiling inside the whole time carrying it. Very cool design!

Bill, you are definitely on to something with these. Perhaps some removable handle scales to use as a knife when not used as a spear?
I gave this concept a go today and added some grooved maroon/black G10 scales. They are attached with aluminum threaded barrels and screws. Not sure if I love it as a knife but it’s way better of a handle than the raw tang👍

IMG_4108.jpegIMG_4109.jpegIMG_4110.jpeg

Back