"Special Melt" Coffin Handled Bowie

Here is the latest from the forge.

The blade is 8.5" formed and forged from 1084 powder, cable, and a few other things....layered a few times too. She is 5/16" at the spine.

The fitting are wrought iron from an old fence gate with a touch of file work.

The handle is ebony with extended nickel silver pins that have been domed for a real fighting grip.

The sheath in one of the pics has rattlesnake hide inlay.

This one has a real stange edge....doesnt feel sharp to the fingers but it shaves hair easily and is much sharper than my cutting competition knife...which is really scary. This one felled a bundle of 3 one inch ropes in an easy swipe. The clip is sharpened for deadly backcut.

I'll shutup an show the pics....kinda hard to see how intricate the pattern is...looks like fine hair between cable...almost like a mix of wootz.

cof1.jpg

cof3.jpg

cof4.jpg

cof5.jpg

That damascus doesn't stand out and hit you but somehow on this knife that doesn't seem to make any difference. The package makes for a very SEXY knife. Now I don't say that much either ... :D

Looks like your typical workmanship on this one, but some stand-out features are the grooved guard / spacer combination and how the handle melds from a rounded profile at the guard to an angular shape in the coffin handle. AWESOME. Jason.

For the record, this MUST be a special bowie. I called Greg and tried to buy this knife, but he ain't givin it up! :)

Danbo said:
For the record, this MUST be a special bowie. I called Greg and tried to buy this knife, but he ain't givin it up! :)

Hehehe.....true! Has to be the best piece of steel that I've conjured up so far. It is a scary blade and if I were one to talk about "mystical" qualities....then this would be it for me. Makes me wish I'd made it longer.

I have the other end of the billet and I'm thinking it'll grow into a Bigun"

Thanks for the compliment Jason!

Greg Covington said:
Hehehe.....true! Has to be the best piece of steel that I've conjured up so far. It is a scary blade and if I were one to talk about "mystical" qualities....then this would be it for me.

Yeah, but Greg, my "Spirit" just won't be the same without this knife! :eek: :D

Greg,

Nice Bowie sir. Looks like the steels were melted together, beautiful piece!!

I'm carrying the bowie you made for me a few years back everyday. Everyone just drools over the damascus and premier elk horn handle. Thanks again for making it for me.

Robin Brown

Greg,sorry to take so long to see this BEAUTY...Guess I need to check out the gallery more often..

This is one very GORGEOUS Blade,you know I have a soft spot for the old style Bowies and you did this one as fine as any I have seen..

Great work,cant wait to see what you do next in this series:D

Bruce

of other people's knives but I saved this one of yours!! What a nice look overall. AND IT CUTS!!! A first and a must with any knife. Great job! I never seem to keep anything I make but I wouldn't blame you for keeping this one for yourself.

regards, mitch

Thanks for the great compliment Mitch...this one stays on the nightstand all the time now.

My youngest one, 20 months old, likes the rattlesnake inlay....the calls it a "nake" :D

Back