Photos Specs for 2 Chinese knives on way

CHINESE_CHEAPIES.jpg

CHINESE_CHEAPIES_2.jpg

CHINESE_CHEAPIES_4.jpg

I forgot to mention what my forthcoming budget knives are made of so...
The two cheapie Chinese ones landed today and they are both gorgeous IMHO - they surpassed my expectations by a mile and are total bargains.
Even the small one with the two rivets has a fabulous finish and lovely polished magnolia handle
The big bumpy one with the black ebony handle came in a beautiful black box with care instructions and certificate of quality and compliance.
I didn`t have to do anything to them - they are both literally shaving sharp.
What do you guys think ?
JUMCSONG_5.5_Inch_Utility.jpg

The one with the black ebony handle has the following specs and was $20 all inc :

JUMCSONG 5.5-inch Utility Knife
Blade material: three-layer composite steel, 9Cr17MoV core
Handle material: Red precious precious wood+ebony
Blade hardness: 58 ± 2 HRC
Blade size: 5.5 inches/14cm
Thickness: 2.0 ± 0.2 mm
Surface: Hammer pattern blade
Weight: 87 grams
Packaging: Exquisite gift box

67-ply_Forged_Damascus.jpg

The one with the two rivets has the following specs and was $6 all inc :

67-ply Forged Damascus Steel Steak Blade Sharp Peeling Fruit Knife Magnolia handle Boning Knife Household Kitchen Knife
Name: Steak knife
Blade length: 12.5cm
Handle length: 9.5cm
Knife width: 2.3cm
Total length: 22cm
Blade thickness: 2mm
Weight: 65g
Blade material: Damascus steel
Handle material: solid wood handle

Last edited:
CHINESE_CHEAPIES.jpg

CHINESE_CHEAPIES_2.jpg

CHINESE_CHEAPIES_4.jpg

I forgot to mention what my forthcoming budget knives are made of so...
The two cheapie Chinese ones landed today and they are both gorgeous IMHO - they surpassed my expectations by a mile and are total bargains.
Even the small one with the two rivets has a fabulous finish and lovely polished magnolia handle
The big bumpy one with the black ebony handle came in a beautiful black box with care instructions and certificate of quality and compliance.
I didn`t have to do anything to them - they are both literally shaving sharp.
What do you guys think ?
JUMCSONG_5.5_Inch_Utility.jpg

The one with the black ebony handle has the following specs and was $20 all inc :

JUMCSONG 5.5-inch Utility Knife
Blade material: three-layer composite steel, 9Cr17MoV core
Handle material: Red precious precious wood+ebony
Blade hardness: 58 ± 2 HRC
Blade size: 5.5 inches/14cm
Thickness: 2.0 ± 0.2 mm
Surface: Hammer pattern blade
Weight: 87 grams
Packaging: Exquisite gift box

67-ply_Forged_Damascus.jpg

The one with the two rivets has the following specs and was $6 all inc :

67-ply Forged Damascus Steel Steak Blade Sharp Peeling Fruit Knife Magnolia handle Boning Knife Household Kitchen Knife
Name: Steak knife
Blade length: 12.5cm
Handle length: 9.5cm
Knife width: 2.3cm
Total length: 22cm
Blade thickness: 2mm
Weight: 65g
Blade material: Damascus steel
Handle material: solid wood handle
Gifts?

5_INCH_ROSE_DAMASCUS.jpg

DAMASCUS_ROSE_UTILITY.jpg

ROSE_DAMASCUS_BLADE.jpg

UTILITY_BLADE.jpg

UTILITY_KNIFE_DETAIL.jpg

Neither haha! and no they weren`t gifts.
Well another one landed and I think it`s great for the paltry outlay for a Chinese 440B equivalent; I am not going to criticise it.
Arrived exceedingly promptly in a terrific fitted box and was well over average sharpness OOTB; I`m chuffed with it.

Last edited:
Neither haha! an no they weren`t gifts.
Well another one landed and I think it`s great for the paltry outlay for a Chinese 440B equivalent; I am not going to criticise it.
Arrived exceedingly promptly in a terrific fitted box and was well over average sharpness OOTB; I`m chuffed with it.
So...how much for this Aus8 equivalent?

So...how much for this Aus8 equivalent?
PAPER_CUTS.jpg

PAPER_CUTS_2.jpg

PAPER_CUTS_3.jpg

Just over £18 including 20% value added tax, post and packaging.
The knife is 3 layers which is brilliant for the price.
Here is some 90 gm/m tiny paper scraps it sculpted - the cuts are quite clean haha !
It feels like a high 50`s steel on diamond plates, definitely not low and mid fifties hardness and not quite as hard as my Japanese carbons in the low/mid sixties so the heat treat is not bad for a budget steel.

Last edited:
I have quite a few smaller kitchen knives--6 inches or less--mostly for specific special purposes: a 3" Chicago cutlery fillet knife for panfish cost less than $9, but my 3" Ken Onion "Sky" drawing knife (HRC 63) was $40 on sale, and my Shun sg2 Kaji 4 1/2" all purpose was $90 on sale. My Vctorinox clone 3 1/2" serrated paring knife was less than $5. My left handed Shun Classic 6" utility was $70--and it took 2 years before I used it properly. My favorite of all is a Wusthof 3 1/2" "Precision" that sits next to my computer, cost $40, and I use every day.

Sounds like you got some nice bargains there Dr. Rayeye - they all sound excellent.

Roaduck I wish you would test the Daiso Galaxy knives made in China. I am guessing that they
perfor, well for the price.
They are available in Daiso stores in Japan for the equivalent of USD 0.74 including tax.
I know they have stores in the US and Australaia. How about where you are?
mZf1DP.jpg

SEVEN_INCH_PERFORATED.jpg

SANTOKU_CUT_PAPER.jpg

Aw thanks KenHash I`ve not heard of Daiso - I`ll see what I can find.
I have this perforated 170mm - 115 gram santoku - don`t know the brand or price or steel - forgot.
It cuts paper quite well for a cheapie.

I have a friend coming back from China with a knife for me next week - it is for the Chinese domestic market - it is not available for export to the West.I wanted a special one.
It might be something like a Dongsun - I don`t know , I`m just guessing - it`s a surprise.
I have friends In Chinatown plus I have Asian contacts in the Manchester Chamber of Commerce and family in Guangzhou so I can source unusual and custom knives.

Last edited:
My friend is not back from China yet - family problems etc so I am not going to hold him to a promise when he gets back.
If a knife comes or not - it`s not urgent - they`ll be lots more opportunities I`m sure.

Back