Spike or flat?

Perhaps a question that only serves to demonstrate my ignorance regarding 'hawks, but what is the "point" of having the spike on the backside of the head? I could understand its usefulness if I were a practicing medieval or holistic healer (Trepanantion ), but from a non-combat perspective, wouldn't the flat backside (like the Rainier Scout model) be more practical.

I'm considering buying my first 'hawk, which I forsee being mainly a campsite tool. Am I missing some use for the spike?

Thanks,
Neil

I ordered the VTAC and it is very nice hawk but I wish you could have the option of a hammer pole instead of the spike.

When Andy first started up the ATC they were offering a "light infantry hawk" that had a hammer pol on the back side. The Hawk was hand forged by Bobby Branton and was made from laminated steel. This is the model I got from ATC and I do think that it is a more versital hawk, however, it is very heavy and I think it would be harder to throw then the spiked hawks (I don't throw mine, it just hangs on my tool board in the shop). I don't know why they discontinued this model unless they just wanted to offer tactical throwing hawks that would stick on either end.
BTW, I wrapped my hadle with leather to cover and protect the "Rogers Rangers" branded logo on the handle.
If I can save up my money I think I will also buy one of the new VTAC hawks and try throwing it.

Ron :eek:

Thanks for the insight, muzzleup and silas! I decided that I couldn't restrain myself (I partly blame rooikat and his wild raving about the Rainier Scout) and called to order my own today.

I figure I probably won't be throwing it unless I'm trying to unweight and outclimb a bear (generally not a great situation to be in :eek: ), so the lack of a back spike shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe, if I decide to learn to throw, I'll head down the VTAC line later.

Cheers,
Neil

Back