Spine whack testing: valid or not?

Is it a fair practice?

• Yes, it's a valid test.

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • No, it's a pointless and stupid test.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • It's more complicated than a simple "yes" or "no" answer.

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a folder with a lock, I think there is nothing wrong with checking to see how it holds up by giving it a few cranks on a 2x4.
Sir,

I believe you've created a new poll:

Which do you prefer:

A). A fish whacked, then prepared to eat by MolokaiRider.

B). A 2×4 whacked, then prepared to eat by MolokaiRider.

[Seasonal]
[Spices vary]

The roast duck whack test is my gold standard.
UgHjYrIh.jpg

A lock is a safety back up. Use every folding knife as it was a slip joint. Use the knife correctly the lock never comes into play.

Testing a lock makes sense. By trying to close it normally you can see if it is engaging and holding.

Beating on a mechanism to see if it will fail seems counter productive. You could be damaging it making it less safe even if it doesn’t fail.

A folding knife will never be a fixed blade, no matter how good the lock is. It has the potential to fail.

Last edited:
This thread has stayed surprisingly serious - kinda - longer than I expected.

A spine whack does introduce shock to the locking mechanism of a knife that is different than what would be during normal use; most notably there is no hand on the handle when the forces are applied. This is probably most notable in a frame lock as an example.

That said, certain makers do themselves employ these tests to evaluate the validity of their work.

Example -

Skip ahead to 13:45 or just watch the whole thing, it's a great video.

FTR: I have at least two locks that fail easily. No spine whack needed on those to determine failure.

I test the safeties on my guns by loading them, cocking them, putting them on safe, then beating on the trigger with a maul. What could possibly go wrong? ;)
well you didn't beat on the safety switch, or the slide lock, or the mag well...

... I mean honestly, that's barely even a good test.

Not a fan of spine-whacking my own knives. (If a maker wants to do it to test the parameters of their offerings, more power to them. And I'm happy to check out the information they provide.)

I will check to see whether a modicum of pressure applied at the spine will cause the knife to fold unexpectedly...but that is simply to verify that the system works as intended...not to explore its limits and ultimate durability.

On a liner or frame lock with titanium to steel contact, the titanium will be deformed causing unnecessary lock wear and what will it prove? Do it with your knives, not mine!

If you are whacking away at something with the spine of a knife:

a) You're doing it wrong (Knives cut, edge is on the other side)

and

b) you clearly do not understand mechanics as ANY lock will potentially fail or deform if you spine whack it hard enough.

and if you are that concerned with lock failure..get a fixed blade.

I think it's valid, but the test should be one medium-strength whack. Repeated whacks without reseating the blade aren't instructive, because unless you have some kind of mental problem, you're not going to accidentally strike the back of the blade multiple times in one go. If you want to test different contact points, do a test, then close and reopen the knife and test a different point.

That said ... I have multiple knives that fail the test, and I still use them. But at least I know which ones they are and I can use them accordingly.

Certainly going crazy whacking the spine full force over and over doesn't make any sense, but if a lock easily fails a light spine whack, that to me says there's something wrong and the lock will also likely fail under other more "normal" circumstances, defeating the purpose. I mean, obviously people care somewhat about lock strength, otherwise everything would still be slipjoints, right?

I voted C...

I don't have any desire to do it.

I don't see how it provides any valid metric of how a lock will perform in real world usage for me.

I don't have a problem with others doing it if it gives them peace of mind

And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in a knife when it fails.

What I'm not a fan of is how the issue is often handled these days when a knife fails these types of tests, particularly when it comes to the smaller knife companies. It always seems to be someone having a grudge against a certain maker and finding a way to say their knives are garbage so they can trash them on the internet for points. If they are truly doing it for "the community", do they try contacting the maker with what they consider a serious safety issue and make them aware, or at least get their input? Because when they just rush out and post a video casting stones, they put that maker in the valid position of having to defend their business and the people depending on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back