Spine whack testing: valid or not?

Is it a fair practice?

• Yes, it's a valid test.

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • No, it's a pointless and stupid test.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • It's more complicated than a simple "yes" or "no" answer.

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The designer of the Paul lock had four knife design criteria, ignored by many; lock closed, lock open, can be opened with one hand and can be closed with one hand. That ‘s why I bought one :)

I have had a Cold Steel Voyager, Buck Vantage and Terzuola ATCF close during use because of an impact on the spine. In no case was it abuse. The reason Cold Steel runs those tests is many believe a knife that locks open and stays open is an important safety feature.

We should invite Joe X to join the forum. I would pay for his membership. The good news is he is back on youtube. Maybe he could set up a series of lock durability standards for different types of knives.

Like it or not, lock failure on a folder is a real issue
Is that so? Do explain. What % fail? What cutting tasks? Are these failures more prominent in certain lock types? Brands? If you tell us there is a real issue going on, you must provide some explanation with evidence.

I think Sal said that a knife should be able to handle a few light spine whacks. I think that is where I'm at. That said, I don't test all my folders but I have tested many of them. None have failed so I guess this isn't a real issue for me...

Is that so? Do explain. What % fail? What cutting tasks? Are these failures more prominent in certain lock types? Brands? If you tell us there is a real issue going on, you must provide some explanation with evidence.

I think Sal said that a knife should be able to handle a few light spine whacks. I think that is where I'm at. That said, I don't test all my folders but I have tested many of them. None have failed so I guess this isn't a real issue for me...
Whenever it's actually an issue, this happens:

Consumer product recall
Gerber Legendary Blades Recalls Cohort Knife

Starting date:May 26, 2015
Posting date:May 26, 2015
Type of communication:Consumer
Product Recall Subcategory:Sports/Fitness
Source of recall:Health Canada
Issue: Laceration Hazard Audience:General Public
Identification number:RA-53487
Affected products
What you should do
Joint recall with Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC) and Gerber Legendary Blades

Affected products
Gerber Cohort Knife with Certain Model Numbers and Date Codes
Product description
This recall involves certain Gerber Cohort knife models. The Cohort knife is an open frame folding clip knife with both a black or dark grey anodized aluminum handle and a silver steel liner. The following models are affected by this recall:

30-000645N
31-001714N
31-001714NDIP
31-001715N
31-002488N
31-002488NDIP
31-002722HDN
31-002885HDN
31-002885HDQP
The model number can be found underneath the UPC barcode on the lower right corner on the rear of the trap blister packaging. For box packaging, the model number is found on a label at the bottom of the box.

Additionally, the product date code appears on the blade, beneath the thumb stud, on the clip side of the knife. The last figure in the product date code is a letter, and only knives with letters "E" and "F" are included in this recall.

The tail end of the handle includes a lanyard hole through both sides. When the knife blade is fully extended, it is held in the open position with a liner lock function. When fully extended, the overall length of the knife is approximately 17.75 centimetres (7 inches). When closed, the knife measures approximately 10 centimetres long (4 inches) and weighs less than 85 grams (3 ounces). The knife blade is approximately 7. 6 centimetres long (3 inches) and is marked on one side with the Gerber "sword and shield" trademark in silver on the non-clip side of the blade. The Gerber name appears on the knife clip.

Hazard identified
The locking mechanism can fail to hold the blade when excessive pressure is applied to the back of the blade, posing a laceration hazard.

Neither Health Canada nor Gerber Legendary Blades has received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries related to the use of this product in Canada.

Gerber Legendary Blades has received 6 reports of laceration injuries in the United States, two of which required stitches.

Number sold
Approximately 11,000 of the recalled knives were sold in Canada at various retailers, and approximately 150,000 were sold in the United States.

Time period sold
The recalled knives were sold from March 2013 to March 2015.

Place of origin
Manufactured in China.

Companies
ManufacturerYangjiang Andeli Kitchen Knives Enterprises Co., Ltd
Guangdong/Yangijang
CHINA
DistributorFiskars Canada, Inc.
Gerber Legendary Blades
Markham
Ontario
CANADA
Images (select thumbnail to enlarge - opens in a new window)

Gerber Cohort Knife - Open Clip
Gerber Cohort Knife- Closed Clip
Gerber Cohort Knife – Open Non-Clip
Gerber Cohort Knife- Closed Non-Clip
Location of date code

What you should do
Consumer should immediately stop using the knife, close it carefully by folding the blade into the handle, and contact Gerber Legendary Blades to receive instructions on how to return the closed knife for a free replacement.

For additional information, consumers may contact Gerber Legendary Blades toll-free at 1-877-314-9130, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, or visit the company's website and click on Product Notifications.

Consumers may view the release by the US CPSC on the Commission's website.

Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.

Health Canada would like to remind Canadians to report any health or safety incidents related to the use of this product or any other consumer product or cosmetic by filling out the Consumer Product Incident Report Form.

There were only 6 reported failures in the USA.
TWO required stitches.
None in Canada.

That was enough to trigger a recall in both countries.

So yeah, I don't think there's a huge risk from folding knives out there.

Here's the recall notice from the USA:

And it's a cheap over seas produced gerber liner lock. 6 reports out of 161,000. That's the kind of data we need to identify if something is a real issue! Thanks!

We should invite Joe X to join the forum. I would pay for his membership. The good news is he is back on youtube. Maybe he could set up a series of lock durability standards for different types of knives.
We? You're free to. I'm sure he's aware of this place. And he can come join up, no paid membership needed. He could explain all his youtube antics to us lowly knife users. It would be delightful. Certainly wouldn't add fuel to this spine whack fire....

Locks on a folding knife are equivalent to back supports warehouse employees use, they're not designed to prevent injury and allow you to develop unsafe handling procedures--- they are there to provide support to your back and help as you continue to lift heavy boxes properly.
Same with a locking mechanism, it's design is not to allow you to hulk smash your way into tasks and save you from injuring yourself while you do so; it's there to keep the knife steady and secure AS you handle the knife safely

The locking mechanism can fail to hold the blade when excessive pressure is applied to the back of the blade, posing a laceration hazard.

Bolded, just because I think it’s interesting that they used the term excessive… in a recall.

Product defect? It does imply user error doesn't it?
Well that’s just it- a recall means the product is deficient in some way, but excessive pressure kind of says the product was misused.

I just wish I knew the stories behind the 6 out of 161,000 that led to failure. That’s a 0.004% chance. Your odds of getting struck by lightening in your lifetime are 0.007%.

Well that’s just it- a recall means the product is deficient in some way, but excessive pressure kind of says the product was misused.

I just wish I knew the stories behind the 6 out of 161,000 that led to failure. That’s a 0.004% chance. Your odds of getting struck by lightening in your lifetime are 0.007%.
But if you hold your knife up high and say "By the power of Grayskull...I have the power!", it increases to like 100%!

Last edited:

So is this.....

Like it or not, lock failure on a folder is a real issue that does happen.

....the real issue that does happen, the OP told us to like or not?

Well, I don't like it and I don't think it is the real issue that internet youboobers would have you think, especially if you don't buy garbage knives.

I am confused why a decent knife wouldn't survive a spine wack?

What purpose is a lock that doesn't?

I am confused why a decent knife wouldn't survive a spine wack?

What purpose is a lock that doesn't?
With your Zen attitude, we also have a segment of an episode of 'Kung Fu Theatre'.

May not know what steel was used to make their weapons, but atleast we know their wires didn't fail them!

A spine whack test is perfect if it’s a fixed blade. Folders have no business being spine whacked, not designed to withstand forces from that direction.

A spine whack test is perfect if it’s a fixed blade. Folders have no business being spine whacked, not designed to withstand forces from that direction.
I beg to disagree. While I find the spine whack test to be a little doppy, locks are absolutely designed for force from “that direction,” or we wouldn’t need locks at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back