SPLIT RING

Great idea. Victorinox used to put the smaller split rings on 2-layer 84mm alox.

Took me decades to decide to take the ring off my original ‘84 Champion. On some models the negative reaction and feedback was almost immediate. Like on the first key ring Farmer I used. Instant feedback that turned the wood saw into more of a pull only saw.

That has to suck if you use it a lot! In the last year, I've done some significant tree pruning (including felling some good sized saplings) with SAK saws, but I'm lucky that the lug and ring don't adversely affect me.

Good point and maybe there is a market…but Victorinox has a long history of reducing such options and I doubt frames like 91mm will get the lug-less backspring needed for the delete.

You're probably right.

where did the pin and magnet go?
Of course one of the two pins goes in the pin slot behind the corkscrew or back Phillips driver. The other one can be kept back as a spare in case you lose the first one, or you could use the magnet to store the second pin in some other place on your SAK. There are many locations to store a magnet and pin in a SAK, depending on the size and shape of the magnet. I've done a lot of experimenting with it. I've found all kinds of spots to store pins on SAKs without the pin slot by using a magnet to help hold the pin in place.

Okay . . . I realized while reading and responding in this topic that it's been a while since I actually used a 93mm Alox model. I just whipped out my Pioneer X and now I see what you guys mean. It's not a deal break, but I can definitely feel the lug when I have the knife blade or saw open, whereas I cannot with a 91mm or 110mm model.

Okay . . . I realized while reading and responding in this topic that it's been a while since I actually used a 93mm Alox model. I just whipped out my Pioneer X and now I see what you guys mean. It's not a deal break, but I can definitely feel the lug when I have the knife blade or saw open, whereas I cannot with a 91mm or 110mm model.
Yeah a lot of people just file those off on the 93mm models. Can't say I blame them, but I wouldn't do it myself. It's too useful.

where did the pin and magnet go?

I do like a good split ring. more handy than a person would have thought
The pin goes in behind the corkscrew/screwdriver in the scale. Newer sak's have a place for it

Screenshot_20230529-052449.png

the magnet goes in the tin opener. It's something I have done for as long as I could buy the small magnets. I'm always putting some note on a shed door for workers to read and the little magnet is perfect.

Screenshot_20230529-052447~2.png
The photos are from my advertisement for them.
I hope this helps mate.

Dan 🦘🇦🇺

The pin goes in behind the corkscrew/screwdriver in the scale. Newer sak's have a place for it

View attachment 2202072

the magnet goes in the tin opener. It's something I have done for as long as I could buy the small magnets. I'm always putting some note on a shed door for workers to read and the little magnet is perfect.

View attachment 2202075
I hope this helps mate.

Dan 🦘🇦🇺

The magnet makes me want to channel my inner Felix Immler!

For the pin hole, I like to use a modified safety pin. I clip the side with the clasp, leaving just the pin and the little coil spring. The coil gives you more to grab to pull it out or use the pin and it doesn't get in the way if you have the corkscrew (doesn't work as well with the backside phillips). I learned about either here or on bushcraftusa.com.

For me they're OK, but sometimes I find that they get in the way. I've always thought that counting it as a "tool" was getting a bit silly! I like the fact that the Electrician doesn't have one.
Ahhhh Yes!! I like the electrician without the Split Ring its very minimal ish. Mighty fine two layer.............................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im going to have to use my Pioneer harder I haven't had a problem with Ergos and the Split Ring. i don't push them like my other knives but they see fair usage.

I tend not to put elaborate lanyards on them or other knives of mine as they get dirty and i cut them off before i clean the knife but i do like a little a bit of para attached to choke back on or extract from the pocket

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

those 30 pound test rings are wicked

I usually carry an SAK on a lanyard around my neck or attached to a carabiner on my belt. The split ring allows me to use an S-Biner to hang the knife. It's strong enough to retain it, but if it gets caught on something that might cause an injury, it will fail. Good place to attach a paracord fob for easier pocket extraction as well.
These custom SAK's that are done on this forum ( Micarta or Titanium ) with a split ring would be a major fashion statement if worn like a pendant.

View attachment 2202072

View attachment 2202075
I hope this helps mate.

Dan 🦘🇦🇺
well well well.

waddaya know? there it is.

I like a split ring AND a pocket clip.View attachment 2202456
Agreed!
rebuild-b.jpg

😁👍

View attachment 2202072

View attachment 2202075
I hope this helps mate.

Dan 🦘🇦🇺

I absolutely love that magnet idea. I already carry a pin in my small tinker. What’s the diameter of the magnet?

I like split rings. I bought bags of various sizes from the salt water fishing department at Bass Pro so I have lots. I prefer the smaller ones, but what I like best is the hollow rivet old Soldiers had for attaching a lanyard.

6mmx2mm. This won't fit the 84mm range of can openers from memory.
I can't be bothered to bust out the digital calipers right now, but I bought some neodymium magnets listed as 1/4 inch and they fit the can opener perfectly as well. Now this is a bit iffy because while 1/4 inch is pretty close to 6mm, it's actually a little bigger, BUT I have discovered that the actual measurements of several different neodymium magnets deviated significantly from what they were supposed to be. It's usually the case that they're off by the exact amount of the nearest unit when going from metric to imperial or imperial to metric, meaning that they're likely being manufactured in one unit and falsely labeled as the other.

Hope that made sense...

Anyway, yes, I can confirm that the dimensions of the 84mm can opener are different and the magnets that fit the 91mm can openers won't fit the 84mm ones.

Back