Spyderco Endura Plain Edge....Advice Sharpening Please.....

Hey all,

I have a Spyderco Endura plain edge that I have had and carried each day for the last 10 years or so. I have never sharpened it but I have ran it through one of those ACCUSHARP devices several times.

I have one of the LANSKY kits with 3 stones, Red, Blue and Green. I'd like to use the Lansky on this Endura and get a good edge that will keep. The "edge" that I get with the Accusharp must be some kind of "false" edge or something cause it won't take long until I have to run it through again to get it sharp.

Now, can you tell me what degree I should use to sharpen? I've read several different things but I'm confident that you guys here will absolutely be able to get me on the straight path to getting a nice edge on my Endura.

And if you think I would be better off sending it to someone that does it professionally, I'll do that too.

Just looking for help and advice.

Thank you all for your time and have a great week!
Larry

Hey all,

I have a Spyderco Endura plain edge that I have had and carried each day for the last 10 years or so. I have never sharpened it but I have ran it through one of those ACCUSHARP devices several times.

I have one of the LANSKY kits with 3 stones, Red, Blue and Green. I'd like to use the Lansky on this Endura and get a good edge that will keep. The "edge" that I get with the Accusharp must be some kind of "false" edge or something cause it won't take long until I have to run it through again to get it sharp.

Now, can you tell me what degree I should use to sharpen? I've read several different things but I'm confident that you guys here will absolutely be able to get me on the straight path to getting a nice edge on my Endura.

And if you think I would be better off sending it to someone that does it professionally, I'll do that too.

Just looking for help and advice.

Thank you all for your time and have a great week!
Larry

I would think that if it's been run thru an AccuSharp for 10 years... it might need a bit of work to get back into shape.

You can do it yourself with the Lansky... it may just take a bit of time and effort. The AccuSharp web page says it sharpens at "approximately 21 degrees"... you could match that angle (or close to) and establish a new bevel with the Lansky. Mark the edge with a Sharpie to see where you're removing metal if you want to match close to what's on the knife. Then work one side with the coarsest stone until you establish a burr, flip and repeat. Be patient... it may take a bit... just depends on the current condition. (Spread it out over a few sessions if needed). After working both sides to a burr, you can move to the finer stones and refine the edge to whatever you want.

The knife is capable of a lower angle... but this should be a good start and will most likely be way sharper than what the Accusharp was doing.

Holler if you need more info!

My .02... hope it helps.

OP, you got a good suggestion already. I just would like to add a few things to it.
You really should spend enough time with the coarsest stone to raise a burr over the full length of the edge. This bevel setting step is critical.
There is a nice tutorial video by Gough Customs using the Lansky system.

Miso

that is a good tutorial - the one thing I would add - use a marker on the bevel. then using a medium or fine stone, lightly work the edge to see how it removes the sharpie

if you want to use the current angle, you can usually adjust the clamp position on the blade to get it pretty close to minimize the work involved.
if you want to set a new angle, it'll take a bit longer, but the marker will help you see when you've actually reached the edge fully with the course stone, especially if you have trouble identifying the burr.

also - throw the accusharp in the trash

Back