Photos Spyderco Myrtle - A short review

fq55

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The Spyderco Myrtle has been on my radar since it was released. I found the blade shape and overall aesthetic very appealing. There was very little out there in terms of information or photos so I was hesitant to drop $200+ on a whim. Now that this knife can be found at a discounted price I took the plunge.

I took delivery of the Myrtle today and am happy to say that this knife has exceeded expectations. If fact, I may go as far as saying that this may be the best made factory folding knife that I have purchased.

The knife arrived and was very tight in operation, it did smooth out considerably but I decided to take it apart to clean and lube.

Please excuse the photography, I used my phone and I probably would not have done this if I had to take out my camera and tripod for better results.

Here it is fully disassembled:
Gw7ExwA.jpg

Every major part is numbered and you'll notice that the knife is held together by steel tubes hidden under the carbon fiber.

Here is the G10 back spacer and CF slab:
Wmt5lYT.jpg

The bolster and non locking side of the handle:
oLlPTCm.jpg

How the knife is held together with steel pins and tubes:
LvNBzTM.jpg

The fit between these three parts is seamless:
HmTkw8G.jpg

One more the bolster fit:
OYvPjLT.jpg

Here you can see that the screws and pins holding the bolster and CF are flush on the inside of the Ti frame:
Rm1Ih7l.jpg

The spine of the blade has been chamfered, the Spydie hole remains sharp. This has never bothered me but some people care:
kEfpg9A.jpg

Here it is put back together:
HzXurNO.jpg

The one thing I do not personally like however is the pocket clip. It's awkward and wider than it need to be. I tend to remove pocket clips off my folders so its not real an issue for me. It is made out of steel and uses the same hole pattern as the Chubby. This is also annoying as the more common Spyderco clips will not fit.

Now the blade, it is a thick blade but thins out considerably. The edge itself is thinner than my Paramilitary 3, Military or even SpydieChef. This thing is a slicer, and the exaggerated belly aids in this. I was surprised by this and in a good way.

I'm glad that Spyderco decided to take a chance with such an unusual design and hope they continue to do so.

kUBdPEU.jpg

Great overview and Nice teardown. Pretty cool design and like that it is very different. I can see the blade profile looks to be quite useful.

Thanks for the review and the pictures... I am actually in the same boat as I have been watching this knife ever since it came out but only placed an order today at the discounted price (which, aside from the reasons you mentioned has something to do with import taxes), so now I am waiting for its delivery.

The only thing that has me worried is how to sharpen it aside from using my sharpmaker. But well, if it needs to be, sharpmaker it is.

Back