Spyderco Neck Knife

sorry,double post. Finger must be getting too strong for the button,ok-no more hammer curls
smile.gif

------------------
lifter
Phil. 4:13

Dave
Wharton,NJ

[This message has been edited by lifter4Him@aol.com (edited 01-07-2000).]

Originally posted by Darrel Ralph:
Lynn,
Just because you have a curve differnt or whatever doesent mean you are the owner. If you are show me the patent or trademark.
Invent something ,get a patent then come hollaring!
Give us a break ok!

Interesting statement coming from someone without a patent on his knife who made far stronger allegations towards S&W for copying one of his designs.

Gentlemen, you both make fines knives that anyone should be proud to own. Now, if you'd just let them speak for themselves...

As for myself, I will not own a knife made by any maker whom I see flaming other makers because they don't "behave properly", or for any other reason.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 01-07-2000).]

St James
We know each other. I dont want you to feel as if I am bashing Lynn. Lets look at the facts. Lynn is making statements in a public forum in writing about a crkt product and the knifemaker Ed Halligan. This is the usa and we are all free to speak as we wish.
I feel these statement are false because of the history that I know first hand.

Is it ok with you ST James for Lynn to slam anyone he wants to promote himself?

I feel that lynn is a ok knifemaker and deserves a good word from time to time for his efforts. I dont feel destroying others to get this type of response from these forums as he has done in this one and in the past is the way to do business.

If this is a reason for you to loose respect for me ST James, or anyone else here then so be it. My point here is not to make enemies. It is to expose this person who needs to tone down there false statements and self promotion.
It is to serve the same purpose that Tim Herman and Kit Carson have posted on this thread.
We try to live by the rules set down by the knifemakers guild. The bylaws state that his type of behavior (making false statements about others without proof) is unacceptable without this being in writing. Anotherwords YOU NEED PROOF THAT CAN BE TRACED IN WRITING TO MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THE ONE LYNN MADE!
If I was hard on Lynn I feel that its only because he has been in this spot many many times in these forums . Its kinda like a fella in his teens and 20's getting a little slack because of inexperience. After a certain point you go to jail because you didnt learn from your prior mistakes.
Im not perfect myself and Im sure none of us are. But we strive to do better each day that we can. Lynn has been caught in this situation to many times. He is a mature enough knifemaker now that he needs to go to jail because the lesson is not being learned.

Ok Im done ..

Sal forgive me for interupting your fine forum. :]

cool.gif

FLOGGING OVER

Codeman
I have my proof IN WRITING. I use a time date stamp (DIGITAL)on my drawings in my computer system for just this type of occasion.
Les Robertson and myself were working on the neck knife and we were bumped off. Wee had plans of several Krait type knives over several years. I am not saying that a trapozoid cut outs (krait style) in a tanto blade has never been done before. What I am saying is that it is a far cry from a warncliff blade compaired to a warncliff blade.
That is the question here.
NO I dont have a patent on the LOOK of the krait knife. But I will say that it has its own look (style) and the LOOK was borrowed by S&W. THOSE ARE HARD FACTS.. I have the time stamped drawings from years ago when the project started and the S&W jogger laying here to prove what I say..
MY Definition of the term LOOK - STYLE in my world is .........simular NOT exact... but close enough look VERY simular.
Also mine has no whistle. : ' }
Codeman .. Yes I have learned a lesson as for trade dress..
------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 01-07-2000).]

Whew! Took me awhile to read through all that! What the heck is going on here?

Not that what an average ELU has to say is of any significance, but I'd like to give my token thoughts as I've just come fresh from reading this for the first time.

Maybe Lynn jumped the gun a bit with his suggestion that the CRKT Wharncliffe was copied from him. Probably just a reactionary statement. But I can also understand that this kind of accusation isn't tolerated in the Guild. So, ok, he made a mistake. He'll probably learn from it. Seems like a pretty smart guy.

The thing I can't get past is how voraciously others have jumped in to call out Lynn's misjudgement or mistake or indiscretion, whatever you want to call it. If he has an ego, it's certainly no bigger than mine or yours. I think Lynn has every right to promote himself on the forums, and why not? In my estimation, he's been gaining a lot of popularity lately, and perhaps that doesn't sit too well with everyone. There was a reference that seemed to state that Lynn needed to develop a "style" first before he got popular. Says who? I actually think he has a style already. Granted, similarly styled knives have been crafted in the past, but if his are selling and those are not, then he's doing something right. Lynn does offer something desirable to at least some enthusists: practical, cleanly styled, high quality knives at prices that the common man like me can afford to use. I wouldn't dream of comparing something as highly stylized as a Krait to one of Lynn's fixed blades. They're just not the same kind of knife. (and price DOES matter, I work hard for my money) Lynn does offer his knives in a variety of sizes and configurations, with basic but attractive handle materials. So perhaps it's the way Lynn has chosen to market his product. He allows the customer to feel they are getting a custom made to their specs with extras at a much lower price of admission. That's technically called Value Added. And it works in every business. Maybe there IS nothing new under the sun, but Lynn has found the way to make it work when perhaps others could not.

Lynn has put the web to work for him. And apparently it's paying off. Who exactly determines it's time to call Lynn out on his mistake in front of everyone? I think a better way would have been to contact Lynn privately and explain to him his error. Then suggest he retract his statement politely here on the forums where it happened in the first place. It would have been forgotten already. But instead, the situation has been somehow manipulated to decry Mr. Griffith.

If the 'real' intent of these posts against Lynn was to defame him, I don't think it worked. Forumites are a smart bunch, and the only people that end up looking bad from this are the accusers. Pointing out Lynn's perceived mistake one time was probably ok, but you guys just didn't let up. Not very professional at all.

clip

Darrel, I’m sorry to say, but it is hard to see the statements in this thread from three well-known Knife Makers as anything but an attempt to belittle Lynn’s work first and to clarify things second.

In the early posts, all were quick to point out that the style of blade has a long history, implying that Lynn was trying to take credit for the blade profile itself. A very mean-spitited tone is evident in those posts. It seems to me that the main thrust is to damage his reputation in some way and not defend that of Mr. Halligan or CRKT.

Nothing about the history of the knife in question was mentioned until it was clarified by Steve B, although both you and Mr. Carson now imply taking credit for another persons work, a truly grievous offence, was the issue all along. If that was the case you should have presented your prior knowledge at the forefront of the argument instead of using insulting language in an attempt to belittle the man. That is the behavior that I find disappointing, the obvious attempts to put the most negative spin possible on Lynn’s statements, veiled in the cloak of propriety.

But it seems that what Lynn did was point out what he felt was a wrong done to him. Yes, he spoke too soon without researching the facts, and perhaps should apologize to Mr. Halligan for any distress or harm he may have caused him. But looking at the picture he was referring to I can understand why he leaped to this conclusion, and see that it was a simple mistake and not an attempt at “being a parasite on the backs of other knifemakers who payed (sic) there dues.”

Here is the picture in question. Perhaps some thought on it is in order before jumping to conclusions on other people’s intentions. That is, in essence, what you have accused Lynn of doing. Everyone should judge for themselves if his statements were malicious or simply misguided.

tacticalsniper.jpg

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 01-08-2000).]

CRKT made a folding KISS, a folding PECK, a fixed blade KISS, and a fixed blade PECK. The KISS and the PECK are essentially the same knife; the KISS has a tanto point and the PECK has a wharncliffe.

Once CRKT made the fixed blade KISS, it was reasonable to assume that they would offer a fixed blade PECK, which they eventually did. I remember reading an ad for the Stiff KISS and thinking, "Hmm... When are they going to have a fixed blade PECK?"

The idea for a fixed blade PECK was a natural progression. It could not have been stolen from anyone.

------------------
Cerulean

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
- Blake

I am very saddened my this post. I come here to read about the idea of a Spyderco neck knife. I see over 60 replies. All I get is arguing about something not related to Spyderco.
frown.gif

I'm very dissapointed,
Mitch

stjames,

please call me tim as i have never been a mr. herman. i have been away for a few days and you as well as others still seem to not get the point Darrel, Kit and myself are trying to make.

first, i have never set out to "defame" anyone or their work. where you got this idea i have no idea. my statements about lynn was on his unfactual statements about wharncliffe blades and his repeated pounding his chest and advertising here on the forums, which as i have stated several times now that even the administrators have talked to him about repeatedly.

you mentioned one of my earlier posts in which i insulted cougar "dork" allen. too bad you didnt read further and see that i was basically teasing him and HE saw that and again replied with good humor. it seems anything said negatively to or about lynn and he just cant take it and sees everything as a personal attack on him and his work as do several others here, and as i said earlier again...i have never seen a griffith knife in the flesh so how can i possibly downgrade his work??? you see us as jealous, bashing, defaming cretins but it seems to me you dont even bother to see the real point we are trying to make. several have expressed that we "worldclass" makers are doing nothing to help our reputations, so i assume we are not allowed our opinions if at all negative about another maker. damn, i thought this was america!

if i truly set out to defame or insult another maker or person on these forums or anywhere else, you would have no doubt as i speak whats on my mind! i think you and the others need to read my posts a little better.
defaming and insulting is not and never will be a goal for me.

lynn is not even in the same market i am in so why should i want to defame or insult him? i think we have been over all this enough and i am done with it.

Sal i again apologize to you for all this stuff in your forum.

------------------
Tim Herman
visit Herman Knives at:
Herman Knives

I carry my Spydie Moran in an Edgeworks slip sheath on paracord. Now when is it coming out in a drop point blade? A flatter grip would make it print less, but the stock grips are fine under a sweats.

Chi

On occasion I carry a neck knife. I use the neck sheath designed for the BF Native with my Delica lite weight.I also have one for my Matriarch.And of course the mini Police on a dog tag chain.I think I got it covered.

lbwheat

Hi. Actually, I was quite impressed to have such "high power" visiting our forum. Probably the reasons could have been improved.

I assume everyone is done "expressing their opinions" and "explaining".

Welcome. Always glad to have you here.

The thread has been moved to Neck knife II for less reading and more focus.

sal

Thanks, Sal. I've come late to this thread, and was becoming more and more upset as I read. I won't get into specific quotes here as that has been done ad nauseum. This thread is THE worst example of unnecessary slamming of a fellow member I've seen since I've become a member. It's made all the worse by the high profiles of the slammers. Shame on you guys. Man, looks like I'd better send Lynn a kevlar vest so he can survive getting stabbed in the back.

Back