Review Spyderco Opus

o469QWL.jpg

Being on vacation in Vancouver I just had to check out my favorite knife store as they had a fresh shipment of ikuchi's in. Well to be honest I was a little disappointed by the ikuchi, as the closed blade did give me a slight paper cut at the tip. So instead I asked to see an Opus for no other reason that I was curious about it because it's on the discontinued list.

JtzH9Ie.jpg

If you're into larger knives you are going to love the Opus. The designer Ulrich Hennicke, basically took the Spyderco Military and "Uberised" it, just like he had done with the Police and the Ulize.

Unfortunately being on vacation I do not have another knife to compare it to, but the blade is 3.75" and the overall length is 8.84"

(Next couple of pics is to show ergonomics)

tVOVyqV.jpg

IiGjruf.jpg

DqnRTrl.jpg

N0ke5nt.jpg

As you can see there is two main grip positions allowing this knife to feel extremely ergonomic in the hand. The thumb ramp is especially comfortable even though it does not have any jimping. I would put this knife almost at par with the Manix. And the clip is not much of a hot spot for me.

hJdtGSK.jpg

I feel like the main problem and negative about this knife was the original price of approx $217us. As I have noticed there is a growing number of people who will not pay over $150 for a knife made from S30v. In Spyderco's own lineup you can get a Military, PM2, or even a Shaman for much cheaper and two of those have compression locks. So your paying a premium for the designers name on a knife that's meant to be used and abused.

Also for some being made in Japan is a negative. Though on the higher end models like these I feel the fit and finish is just as good as Golden if not slightly better.

yqqYQfX.jpg

Conclusion: (TLDR)

This knife feels like a military and a police had a baby and then was further refined. Which I believe is something people have been asking spyderco forever for. You get the great slicing and action of a Military, with a extremely ergonomic handle that pockets well. The design simply makes you want to use it, and gives that sense of confidence only a solid reliable knife does.

I've got one it's awesome.The grinds are perfect .If you got larger hands this is what you looking for.Fit and finish is top notch

Back