Spyderco ProFile

I've decided to make the effort to get good at freehand sharpening. I'm planning on getting a DMT duosharp in coarse/fine to start with (With a Spyderco Fine and/or UF benchstone to follow once I master the basics and want to aim for hair-whittling), but I need to complement it with something suitable for my serrated blades and hawkbills.

Any opinions on the ProFile stones for this purpose (Possibly backed up with a Duckfoot... I'm not sure how it compares to the medium ceramic -- coarser or about the same?) Or any alternatives?

Thanks.

The Spyderco ProFiles come in the same medium (brown) and fine (white) grits as the Sharpmaker, DoubleStuff and bench stones. (All that is missing is the ultra-fine).

They are very good hones, especially when a radius is needed (such as in recurves or serrations) and for deburring. The flat side is (as I recall) about 3/4" wide and suitable for sharpening standard edges.

I use the profiles for regular blades and get pretty good results. I've only used them on serrated blades a few times and a gut hook once.

I found it quite difficult to do the gut hook; I couldn't find the right radius to make it sharp. On the serrations I got them quite a bit sharper, but I also got overly aggressive and put a few "holes" or chips in a few of the scallops. The medium (gray) cuts a lot faster than I thought when using the edge of the profile stone. I'd be more careful on a knife that I actually cared about. This was on a $10 bread knife.

Brian.

Any opinions on the ProFile stones for this purpose (Possibly backed up with a Duckfoot... I'm not sure how it compares to the medium ceramic -- coarser or about the same?) Or any alternatives?

Thanks.

That is what I keep in the kitchen drawer for basic sharpening of my knives.

Add something rougher, say a carbidium stone, and a leather strope with diamond paste.

It works well enough for most knives.

Back