Spyderco Sharpening Gear: Which Suits You The Best?

I use the medium and ultrafine 302. I need to pickup a fine at some point. I wish they made all the ceramics in 8x3. I know it's not necessary, but find I can keep my angle better on larger stones because I don't need to stop to clean them as frequently.

Like others have said, they load up fairly quick. I'm wondering, has anybody used water or some other lubricant to prevent them from loading up so quick?

Congrats on getting a GOLDENSTONE. You'll find it a great investment and a very interesting tool to work with. It took me a while to get the hang of it but now I can get some overworked blades back to being razor sharp again in a fairly short period of time.

It kind of baffles me as to why Spyderco hasn't sold anymore of them than they have. I don't run into many people that even own one and they've been out since 2010 or thereabout.

I received my Goldenstone the other day. Pretty cool. It's like a mini sharpmaker set at 40 degrees and relatively portable (though a little bigger than I expected). Looks like it should be able to handle plain edge as well as serrated blades (I received my first serrated knife, a Salt 2 in the same package).

I was able to use a round medallion as a rest on the end, which effectively changed the angle to about 15 degrees per side.

I did a search on Goldenstone, and wasn't able to find all that much, which is surprising. I did see several of your old posts, and somewhere along the line, Sal chimed in and noted that they were developing a base for the Goldenstone that would allow for easy 15 degree angles. I don't think its come out yet, though apparently at least 1 person has a prototype. Would love to get a hold of that, as most of my knives are at 15 degrees/side, and I imagine their base would be more convenient to use than the round medallion trick I am using.

I'll play with the Goldenstone some more, but my issue at the moment is all of my knives are already really sharp. I'm going to need to dull some of them first...

I agree that there is very little information about the GOLDENSTONE>> that just doesn't make much sense either. Because if people knew more about it and the tricks to efficiently using it I do believe it would help drum up many more sales.

But that's not the only Spyderco sharpening tool that there wasn't much information on. The older/discontinued 701 Profiles had very little information about them as well.

If both of those tools had more fanfare and more available information I believe that they could truly sell these by the hundreds.

sharpmaker of course!just to maintain my edges,i also use there 3x8 UF when free handing,i will jump to EP to change angles or to remove stock much faster in less time.

sharpmaker of course!just to maintain my edges,i also use there 3x8 UF when free handing,i will jump to EP to change angles or to remove stock much faster in less time.

That 3 X 8 Ultra-Fine stone is one of the very few Spyderco sharpening tools I don't own but wish I did. I will be getting one at some point because that extra width would truly come in handy for some of the woodworking tools I sharpen on occasion. I kind of wish they would take the 302 line of Benchstones and make they all 3 inches wide. But I still use my 302 Benchstones a lot as it is.

I so much want to see the 701 Profiles not only return to the main line up but to also return in more grit selections as well.

The GOLDENSTONE is much more portable and suited for field use than the 204 Sharpmaker IMO. The only thing keeping the GOLDENSTONE from being more recognized is that currently it's only available in one grit (fine). It's really a nice convenient tool for quick touch ups. It stands up at a perfect 20 degree angle and really does a nice job of touch up on a relatively sharp blade that just needs to be honed and realigned. It has a lot of potential but it really confuses me as to why it hasn't done well on the sales charts. But it needs to be available in more grit selections.

Id like to see the goldenstone in multiple grits, and for it to have multiple foot angles - such as a 15degree and a 20degree angles to set up in.

Id like to see the goldenstone in multiple grits, and for it to have multiple foot angles - such as a 15degree and a 20degree angles to set up in.

I do know for a fact that Spyderco has developed a "base unit" for the GOLDENSTONE. Now I don't know what different angle set ups it has but I do know that it's in Spyderco's product pipeline.

Yeah you're preaching to a very devout choir here about the GOLDENSTONE needing to be made in more grit selections. I would like to see at least 4 to 5 to select from. And when you think about it a set of 5 GOLDENSTONES wouldn't take up much space at all. Even if you had the base unit to go with it you could probably utilized it just as easily as you could a 204 Sharpmaker.

I also very much would like to see the Spyderco 701 Profiles return in more grit selections too.

I realize I never answered the original question.

I'd say the 204 sharpmaker is my favorite spyderco sharpener.

I do have India, and Japanese waterstones, as well as a few other ceramic triangular and round rods, as well as a strop to finish out my sharpening supplies. I'd like to say that the sharpmaker, ceramic rods, and strop can keep my stuff sharp. But I resort to the India and waterstones for reprofiling, and taking out chips from edges.

That 3 X 8 Ultra-Fine stone is one of the very few Spyderco sharpening tools I don't own but wish I did. I will be getting one at some point because that extra width would truly come in handy for some of the woodworking tools I sharpen on occasion. I kind of wish they would take the 302 line of Benchstones and make they all 3 inches wide. But I still use my 302 Benchstones a lot as it is.

I so much want to see the 701 Profiles not only return to the main line up but to also return in more grit selections as well.
to be honest,the 302UF -2X8 should cover most things!i ended up ordering the larger size only because i also thought it would come in handy with woodworking tools as well,not so much though, just my planer blades find there way on the larger stone.

I use a Sharpmaker for all my touch-ups on my knives..... not just Spydercos. For re-profiling I have a Wicked Edge that serves that duty.

I use a Sharpmaker for all my touch-ups on my knives..... not just Spydercos. For re-profiling I have a Wicked Edge that serves that duty.

With "Wicked Edge" and "Edge Pro" gaining the popularity that they have garnered it makes me wonder when Spyderco themselves might be coming up with a premium/professional sharpening system of their own? I've yet to get one of those units but it's been a hard decision for me to pick which one I think would be the best overall investment for me in the long run. So far "Edge Pro" seems to be the one that would work for me but I'm waiting to make absolutely for sure.

Although I've heard some great testimonies on the Wicked Edge sytem as well.

Yeah I really hope that Spyderco at some point comes out with their own premium system.

The fine and medium benchstones. Those two and a strop is all I need. And I have some diasharp bench stones for heavier tasks.

I do have the sharpmaker, but it's been sleeping in a drawer somewhere ever since I got the benchstones. Love 'em..

The fine and medium benchstones. Those two and a strop is all I need. And I have some diasharp bench stones for heavier tasks.

I do have the sharpmaker, but it's been sleeping in a drawer somewhere ever since I got the benchstones. Love 'em..

You're not the only one I've heard say that they can accomplish sterling results with just the medium & fine Spyderco ceramic stones. It is interesting how many people who buy the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker which comes factory equipped with medium & fine stones that never get any of the other stones that are available for the 204 Sharpmaker.

I've heard some guys tell me over the years that they would have two sets of medium and fine stones and let one set get really loaded up with filings and using it as a strop more or less. Myself I like to experiment with several different grits of stones. I'm also hoping that Spyderco will continue to offer more grit selections and different types of stones as well.

Back