Spyderco Southard deep carry clip?

Hey STR,

Just wondering if you think it would be possible for you to make a deep carry clip for the Spyderco Southard flipper? I love your para 2 clip, here is a picture of the Southard clip side next to my other favorite :)

Last edited:
He is going to need an example of the knife if he does not have one. I was thinking of asking him for one too, but did not want to give up my Southard just yet. Maybe you can donate yours for fit-up!

I don't think there is enough space between the screws to make a fold over work guys. Sorry. The clip would be too weak to hold up even to one seat belt snag in order to access the screws to remove and install. It appears just getting the driver in would be a challenge as the pattern seems tighter than the 1/4" on center Para 2 beside it. Thanks for asking tho. I'm not saying I would not look at it if its just optical illusion here but it appears to be even tighter than the P2 which is about the limit of what you can get away with on this style of clip. Even on that one the screws kind of snap in place due to just that. Hope that covers it. Thanks again

STR

Thanks for the quick response.

You are correct, the distance between the two clip holes is smaller than the P2.

One suggestion that someone made was perhaps to use the standoff screw and the one on the left instead of the two existing screw holes. But then you would need a longer screw to fit into the standoff screw hole.

For now, I have a temporary solution which works surprisingly well! :)

Last edited:
spyderco clip.jpg

Just saw this thread and although I am not a deep pocket clip fan, I think this knife would benefit from a new clip design, and definitely one in Titanium. I was thinking that if you were able to access the second screw trough the clip, (similar to the zt 0560) it would solve the issue here. I am not trying to make light of your production process or say how easy this would be to do, but I think a clip like the one I sketched would look pretty darn good on this knife in particular. I know there have been tons of people saying that there one single gripe with this knife is the pocket clip.

View attachment 316966

Just saw this thread and although I am not a deep pocket clip fan, I think this knife would benefit from a new clip design, and definitely one in Titanium. I was thinking that if you were able to access the second screw trough the clip, (similar to the zt 0560) it would solve the issue here. I am not trying to make light of your production process or say how easy this would be to do, but I think a clip like the one I sketched would look pretty darn good on this knife in particular. I know there have been tons of people saying that there one single gripe with this knife is the pocket clip.

Yeah I've done them but lining it all up making it easily repeatable for a backyard set up is just not feasible for me. I'd have to spend too much time on each clip and even if they were cut out for me in flat pieces the fold over has to be exact to line up access holes. Without a robot to hit that each time everytime the same way its just not one I mess with unless I was dong that style of clip for something I was making from scratch. In that case you just make the clip and then use the clip to mark and drill then thread the holes. With holes already there it does not leave room for even small errors when you do that fold so the waste was always an issue when I tried these pass through style of fold over style clips. I have made them. In fact the one Brian Fellhoulter uses on his custom knives is one I first came up with and did for him for the first oh, heck 20 or so as I recall and then he picked up to do them on his own. With a custom knife it is okay to be off since you can just put it where it needs to be but on some that are close to the edge of the handle to one side or the other the width of these style of clips is a big issue also. Anyway, it is a good suggestion but I simply do not mess with after market pass through style clips. Thanks for coming by tho
STR

Just a suggestion. How about drilling & tapping the other side and fold over the clip across the handle butt to the Ti side?

Or an extra wide clip with the access to the screws as holes inside the clip width?

Perhaps still a standard thin clip, instead of straight, an 'S' kind shape to allow acces to the screws (seeing that they are lined up diagonal)?

Last edited:
Chris "Anagarika";11601649 said:
Just a suggestion. How about drilling & tapping the other side and fold over the clip across the handle butt to the Ti side?

Or an extra wide clip with the access to the screws as holes inside the clip width?

Perhaps still a standard thin clip, instead of straight, an 'S' kind shape to allow acces to the screws (seeing that they are lined up diagonal)?

Yeah I cover that right here. Thanks but no thanks tho on that. http://www.strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.com/2009/10/low-rider-pocket-clips-for-folding.html

How about a titanium clip similar to the factory clip...are these being made yet? Sorry if this has been talked about somewhere else. Thanks!

I could easily make the shape but the decorative line down the middle is something I don't have the capability to duplicate.

I've been lookin' at the Southard model and it may be that I could fashion a clip to work using the body mount screw instead of the screw in what would be the middle of the three there on the end of the handle. So effectively I'd have to use the far west mount screw and the far east body screw and weave a fold over between those covering the unused hole. Problem is the body mount screw will have to be a custom cut length to work in all likelihood. I'd need a knife to do it or even try tho and no guarantees.

STR

Here ya go guys! These are not finished out yet but getting close. See my blogger link below for more.
STR

[video=youtube;MWYcDnBRjyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MWYcDnBRjyU[/video]

I have a couple available yet and I'll sell the prototypes. The first ones to the right should not be discounted. They are fine clips certainly and worthy of most pockets. I've sold two of these Southard clips so far, and have both the thinner ones available at this time. I have enough extra screws to do just a couple more and after that its not feasible to sell them if they can't be mounted down. So not sure how many I can offer here. Not many. Maybe enough to do one more after these are gone. If you want one better grab one now.

STR

Are you planning on making any clips similar to the factory clips? Ones that are not "low rider" clips. Thanks

I had not really given it any thought. I could easily do that if someone requested it tho. I would not copy the clip exactly tho. I'd simply come up with my own interpretation to keep it well, unique. Thanks and my work order form is found in the low rider sticky post top the page here on page one of my forums. Its among the other permanently tacked posts there for easy reference any time.

STR

Very nice Steve. I'm using one you made for a Stretch (and G10 Delica) a few years ago. Just using one screw and superglue under the clip :D Works flawlessly, but doesn't look as tidy as the new design.

Sverre

I would be interested in a clip that mounts like the factory clip, and is not deep carry, but is more rounded at the end. That sharp factory clip would do a job on the seats of my car if I wasn't careful.

Hmm. Well, I've already mailed the folder back to the gentleman that allowed me to see it to do these that I did manage. I didn't copy the original clip or pattern for the holes spacing so I'd have to have the actual clip or the knife again to do that Rob. I don't do many of the standard clips. I mean I can. I just don't think about them. I make them rarely.

STR

Thanks for the reply. I will look into getting a spare and modifying it.

I have a couple available yet and I'll sell the prototypes. The first ones to the right should not be discounted. They are fine clips certainly and worthy of most pockets. I've sold two of these Southard clips so far, and have both the thinner ones available at this time. I have enough extra screws to do just a couple more and after that its not feasible to sell them if they can't be mounted down. So not sure how many I can offer here. Not many. Maybe enough to do one more after these are gone. If you want one better grab one now.

STR

How do you go about ordering one of these? I looked on your blog and there doesn't seem to be an order form or anything. Just message you in Bladeforums?

Update: Never mind. I found the form in the FAQ.

Back