Off Topic Spyderco sueing eBay for selling counterfeits

Good luck to Spyderco. Ebay amazes with its acquiescence to blatant counterfeits. It goes beyond clone when the items are packaged and stamped as originals. On EBay they're even advertised as such.

I would think it would be much more difficult for Buck because any knife even remotely resembling a 110 or 119 is advertised, packaged, and sold as a "buck knife" on these sites like fleabay and amazon. Some of them even say "Brand X Buck Knife" as if "Buck Knife" is a specific style or pattern.

It will sure be interesting to know the outcome and what effect it will have on the 'bay'...the "800 pound gorilla". Preston

Reactions: BP_
Seems like eBay gets away with it because they aren't the seller. So they have no liability. It's wrong, but that's how it works.

Like a flea market, eBay is just the owner of the field were the sellers set their table up.

I hope they can find a way to protect legit manufacturers.

How quickly you all forget. Law is already set in eBays favor. Tiffany sued Ebay a number of years ago and lost. At the time most "Tiffany" items on eBay were counterfit. Court ruled it was not eBays responsibility to police their sellers. Google it.....

I hope Spyderco is hugely successful with this. I am sick of eBay and other places saying they have no liability. They need to put a policy in place against such infringement and enforce it.

Spyderco just had a case thrown out by the court because they sued in CO. The judge basically indicated they need to sue in ME. So now they are going to have to re-file. I think that was Kittery Trading Post, or something. They were selling fake Spydercos right off the shelf as genuine, knowingly.

The case against Kittery was thrown out. As of now, Spyderco has to pay Kittery's legal fees.

They had 14 days to refile as of July 7 so I wonder if they refiled.

You would think their lawyers would have had some idea of correct venue.

I think the only real solution here would be for manufacturers to open their own Ebay/Amazon stores and sell their knives at reasonable retail prices and not the full msrp. Most of the knockoffs are made in China and Pakistan. Going after those sellers is like going down a rabbit hole.

I think the only real solution here would be for manufacturers to open their own Ebay/Amazon stores and sell their knives at reasonable retail prices and not the full msrp.

Manufacturers will not undermine their dealer network.

I think Ebay is a culprit here. Search Spyderco or Sebenza clone and you'll get hits. It can't be too hard for software to filter those out. I grant it's tougher to find the hidden ones who don't actually advertise "clone."

Back