Spyderco Swayback ... hear me out!

1. Price! The Swayback has been discontinued and remaining stock is available at various online retailers for less than $200, which is WAY more palatable than the $300-$400 the knife was listed at previously. I picked one up at a retailer that accepts 10% off coupon codes and it came in at $180.
I missed this the first time around, but some places still have them in stock.

There goes another $200.

Really ties the whole thing together.

bbqjssY.jpg

Hey Blade Lab,
Great Review! I like your balanced perspective. Yes, there are some aspects of this knife’s design that are not perfect, but there are other factors that make it very desirable. I had my eye on this knife for the past 1-2 years (because I love the design of it), but, I read so many negative reviews, I didn’t get it. My local dealer still had one left in stock, and I kept coming back to how much I liked the knife. I finally bought it a couple of weeks ago, and I’m so happy I did! Such a unique and beautiful piece! I totally agree with so many thins you pointed out, such as: the amazingly thin, sharp edge and deep hollow-grind (no other knife in my collection has such a fine tip!), the unique blade finish that is stonewashed but polished at the same time, the luscious titanium scales, and just the overall ‘swooped’ shape/design - SO COOL!! 😎👍

Yes, this knife is a little more FORM OVER FUNCTION, but sometimes . . . that’s OK! How boring if everyone drove a beige Toyota Corolla! Yes, very functional and fuel efficient, but, DUDE - did you see that BRIGHT RED FERRARI that just roared by!?!🤩

Even the things people complain about aren’t really that big of a deal. Yeah, the handle-scale opening is cut a bit narrow, but I can very easily and effectively thumb-flick the Swayback open every time (I kind of insert more of the end of my thumb with fingernail in the spydie-hole and give a firm flick - SNAP! - every time. Also, southpaws can just do a normal spydie-flick. Yeah, the clip isn’t a great design match - I just took it off and it looks even more classic & old-school; maybe I’ll order an MXG clip later, but, who says every knife needs a clip - especially for this knife based on a more traditional design? Ok, yes, it’s bigger than the old, traditional swaybacks in 1930’s England, but how neat to have a SWAYBACK XXL that is built with modern materials and technologies! Yeah, the back of the knife handle pokes into my palm slightly with certain grasps because of the design, but, am I planning to use this knife to build myself a shelter in the woods? (No, it’s not designed to be a hard-use knife - I’ll use my TOPS El Chete and ESEE 5 for that!). Despite all these minor flaws, it’s a gorgeous knife design unlike any others in my collection and I’m so glad I have it! I don’t need to have 20 knives that are designed for optimal functioning in every aspect, but they’re all boring to look at and use.

I think knife reviewers and we in the knife community need to be careful we don’t become like those sci-fi film nerds who walk out of an amazing and highly entertaining Star Wars movie and talk about how much they “hate it” because of a bunch of obscure details in the movie that didn’t follow the “Star Wars cannon” . . . Come on bro! - Chill out! - It was a great movie! (And the Spyderco Swayback is a great knife! 😁)

Back