Spyderco's Hawkbill Blades: What Do You All Use Them For?

Wasn't there a Super Hawk built on the same frame as the Super Leaf? I can't remember anyone posting pics of one so maybe I just imagine there was one made at one time. I think a Tasman is in my near future, you guys are enablers.

Wasn't there a Super Hawk built on the same frame as the Super Leaf? I can't remember anyone posting pics of one so maybe I just imagine there was one made at one time. I think a Tasman is in my near future, you guys are enablers.

Yeah. The Superhawk is a plain edge hawk bill on the Super leaf frame.

C116_M.jpg

Yeah. The Superhawk is a plain edge hawk bill on the Super leaf frame.

C116_M.jpg
For the life of me I can't at all figure why they didn't offer that SUPERHAWK model in Spyderedge????? That would have been an awesome hawkbill in SE for sure. It was sure a solid built piece and I would love to see a Sprint run of that model providing that they would offer it in Spyderedge this time.

Yeah we need some Hawkbill folders with upscale handles.

I used mine to landscape for a summer, it's broken down thousands of boxes, used it to lay sod at my sister's house (in the dirt, cutting the sod), I bit my arm pretty good once putting up a fence - fence in one hand, cutting a limb with the other... All sorts of things. I sometimes put it through the dishwasher, too.

27567577862_a7e9573976_z.jpg

29437977185_e6b18d3da8_b.jpg

30433415595_4bb67b63b1_b.jpg

29814392945_da737813b0_b.jpg

The scrapes on the top of the handles are from opening beer bottles.

The only thing I think would make it better is a set of liners, red scales and the regular hourglass clip. I don't care about it being rust proof, the liners would make it as smooth as the Delica, and red is way the hell better than yellow or black. :D

EDIT - pro-tip, it's great at peeling oranges. Draw an 'X,' and you're good to go.
25445774571_736d5630a0_c.jpg

I put my lady's Q in the diswasher, until it broke. All those holes need a good cleaning. Now I use the vegetable brush on it when the dishwater is clean.

View attachment 701430 Here's a pic of mine...I don't carry it that much but I like the compression lock and I have the Superleaf as well...both are very well built folders :thumbsup:

The SUPERHAWK is a real mystery to me and has been for years. I truly think it's without a doubt the best overall constructed Hawkbill Spyderco has made up to this point. But for the life of me I never could figure out why they didn't offer it up in Spyderedge???? Because when you figure that probably 95% of all the Hawkbill blades that Spyderco sells are made in the Spyderedge variant ( regardless of which model).

It's a proven fact that serrated Hawkbills have many more viable uses than do their plain edged counterparts. I truly believe that the SUPERHAWK would have become a permanent model in the main line up just like the HARPY if it would have been made in Spyderedge.

This isn't the only time I've heard people compliment how really well built the SUPERHAWK model was. It deserves another chance in my opinion and in Spyderedge I believe it would sell out fast.

Well, this knife has impressed me again! I was visiting my dear ol' grandmother earlier, and she mentioned having some vines that she needed removed. I told her to leave it to me. She offered me some pruning shears, but I told her I had something that'd do the trick! I started with the smaller ones, it took them on a handful at a time! The bigger ones were about as big around as my thumb. This thing didn't slow down in the least... Aboslutely DESTROYED them!!! Very impressed!

I guess that's all I had to say, this blade just keeps proving its usefulness!

Well, this knife has impressed me again! I was visiting my dear ol' grandmother earlier, and she mentioned having some vines that she needed removed. I told her to leave it to me. She offered me some pruning shears, but I told her I had something that'd do the trick! I started with the smaller ones, it took them on a handful at a time! The bigger ones were about as big around as my thumb. This thing didn't slow down in the least... Aboslutely DESTROYED them!!! Very impressed!

And if the TASMAN can do that good of a job on vines>> then you can only imagine how much better a Spyderhawk in SE could do. The Spyderhawk is probably Spyderco's best kept secret as far as being a very useful tool for garden and landscaping chores. Even the TASMAN and HARPY models are both awesome for such jobs but the SPYDERHAWK has so much potential.

All of Spyderco's Hawkbills have huge potential and many uses for those great knives is still un-discovered.

I was also surprised with mine. A lot

20170608_095324_zpsrztzqcyj.jpg

and I also agree with JD Spydo, if you can get your hands on a Spyderhawk, don't give it a second thought.
That is a cutting beast

Thanks JD and Peacent for your input! I will definitely be on the search for a Spyderhawk! Maybe we'll see a new version of it at some point, possibly with the QCI update that the Salt 2 and Tasman Salt 2 have? That would be pretty cool with me! :cool: My fingers are crossed!!!

My wife routinely carries a Matriarch 2 for quick access if she needs it walking to or from her truck. Impressive and wicked looking blade!

My wife routinely carries a Matriarch 2 for quick access if she needs it walking to or from her truck. Impressive and wicked looking blade!

Actually I'm glad you brought up a good "Reverse S" bladed model i.e. the Matriarch 2. Because I've believed for some time now that not only are Hawkbills great utility knives but I also have personally experienced some Reverse S blades being extremely handy as well. To me some of the better Reverse S blades like the Matriarch models are simply a Hawkbill with belly.

I've said for some time now that Spyderco needs to consider making Matriarch and Civilian models with thicker blades. They would still be great self defense knives and would also make excellent utility knives as well

Added thickness would be nice for some occasions, like today when I accidentally stabbed the wooden table and almost snap the tip off... :eek:

20170616_104308_zpsgiku9y2r.jpg

I've also wondered what a thicker blade with either a sabre grind or a full hollow grind would do to enhance the performance of a Hawkbill or Reverse S blade? Now that we know the potential of Hawkbill and Reverse S blades it's high time we tried them in different configurations>> anyone agree? or disagree?

On another forum I brought up the idea of a blade coated with some extremely hard material like BUCK did with their models 110 & 119 back in the late 90s. I believe they called it Ion Fusion and they were to be sharpened on one side>> which I think would bode well for a serrated/Spydereded Hawkbill because you sharpen them on one side as it is.

I'd like to see an h1 blade plain edged sharpened on one side like an Emerson to see if it helped edge holding similar to the way the serrated ones do.

I'd like to see an h1 blade plain edged sharpened on one side like an Emerson to see if it helped edge holding similar to the way the serrated ones do.

This is where a coated blade would be beneficial with a hard, possibly Ion Fusion coating would enhance performance for plain edges and serrated edges both IMO. I'm curious as to what you guys who prefer plain edged Hawkbills and what you primarily use them for?

Because in my own endeavors with Hawkbills I find many more uses for serrated Hawkbills than I do with plain edged Hawkbills.

Back