SR1 question - Aluminium vs Titanium

My Ti SR-1, bought from Gianni at BLADE last year, was in an unopened box. I should have tried it before my purchase - it was stiff - and never improved. I finally dissected it - pivot surfaces showed evidence of galling - clearly the problem. Ganni sourced me a new pivot screw & nut - problem solved - smooth knife now. I finally tried the roto-lock - easy enough to use, this is the knife I thought I was buying. A knife this expensive should be 'right' right out of the box. Perhaps mine is the scarce exception.

I worried the colored anodizing on the Al SR-1 AL would show pocket wear. I'm over the aggravation phase and well into the appreciation/enjoyment phase with this knife now.

Stainz

My Ti SR-1, bought from Gianni at BLADE last year, was in an unopened box. I should have tried it before my purchase - it was stiff - and never improved. I finally dissected it - pivot surfaces showed evidence of galling - clearly the problem. Ganni sourced me a new pivot screw & nut - problem solved - smooth knife now. I finally tried the roto-lock - easy enough to use, this is the knife I thought I was buying. A knife this expensive should be 'right' right out of the box. Perhaps mine is the scarce exception.

I worried the colored anodizing on the Al SR-1 AL would show pocket wear. I'm over the aggravation phase and well into the appreciation/enjoyment phase with this knife now.

Stainz

I agree that it should be good to go from day one. The RotoBlock not working easily on my Titanium and requiring a tool is something the inspection at the factory should have noticed. My two Aluminum ones are and have been great from day one.

I'm also concerned about the aluminum ones in my pocket especially if I have other metallic things like keys in that pocket. With one of my Benchamde knives (Benchmade 470 Emissary Aluminum Handles) I had so much wear that I stopped carrying it.

The main question that people seem to have with the AL version is the strength of the frame. Is it as strong as Ti? No. Will it ever break under the pressure that it is subjected to during use? No.

The SR1-A is made from 7075 series AL, much different than the standard 6000 series "aircraft" grade AL. It is as strong, if not stronger than most steels. Let's put it this way, 7075 series AL was developed by the Japanese for use in the frames of Zero fighter planes during WWII because of its high strength to density ratio and its light weight. It'll be fine for a knife frame.

Resurrection of this old thread because I always kept wondered about aluminium vs titanium.
I'm fixed blade guy, I've got about 50 folders but strangely no ti and only one al (I have about a five-fold in fixed blades).

The aluminium folder I have is an opinel with a solid handle, it's very sturdy.
So how much stronger is titanium, is there a difference in scratch resistance, is there a difference in feeling...

Resurrection of this old thread because I always kept wondered about aluminium vs titanium.
I'm fixed blade guy, I've got about 50 folders but strangely no ti and only one al (I have about a five-fold in fixed blades).

The aluminium folder I have is an opinel with a solid handle, it's very sturdy.
So how much stronger is titanium, is there a difference in scratch resistance, is there a difference in feeling...

Go for the Ti version you will not regret it. both are slick at times especially when skin of your hands are dry.
I have both the Lionspy and a SR-1V. the nod goes to the Lionspy for daily work chores since the holes is easy to access even with gloves or cold. the SR-1V is just classy, and tough at the same time.

Back