SRK Ponderings

After some recent research on the SRK, I have a few questions/observations.

1. In the Rare Gems thread, jlauffer introduced me to the SRX model, the uncoated Carbon V version of the SRK. So if that model was labeled the SRX, what is this? [Photos borrowed from Arizona Custom Knives.]

IMG-1706.jpg

IMG-1707.jpg

This isn't a Carbon V with the coating removed. I've seen other photos of this same model and the knives look exactly like this one. Anyone remember Cold Steel offering the SRK in uncoated Carbon V?

2. As I learned more about the SRK, I was struck by how many varieties of sheath have been offered with the knife over the years. By my count, there are at least six:

The earliest Cordura with single retaining strap.

IMG-1951.jpg

One leather.

IMG-1818.jpg

A second version of Cordura with a second retaining strap.

IMG-1952.jpg

One Concealex.

IMG-1708.jpg

Two Secure-Ex.

IMG-1823.jpg

IMG-1924.jpg

Anybody know of others?

By the way, initially I thought that there was an unmarked version of the second Secure-Ex sheath. But in every single photo that I've found of one it was with a counterfeit knife. Several examples (from among far too many out there):

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1955.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1970.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-0944.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1974.jpg

So beware. Any SRK you find with that style sheath that doesn't possess the Cold Steel/Secure-Ex logo is fake.

IMG-1960.png

3. An off-shoot of my sheath search yielded at least six versions of Carbon V SRKs.

This tang stamp, Parkerized.

IMG-1980.jpg

Same stamp but with black epoxy powder-coated blade.

IMG-1981.jpg

Same stamp but uncoated.

IMG-3251.jpg

Same stamp but SRX marking.

IMG-1953.jpg

This tang stamp (more clearly defined in the second photo with the blade coating removed).

IMG-1995.jpg

IMG-1977.jpg

This tang stamp, which I believe was the last.

IMG-1982.jpg

Any I'm missing?

-Steve

Last edited:
This should be a sticky! Good job, thanks for the education!
Agreed ! I have an early version of black blade Carbon V model . I'll post a pic ASAP .
I beat heck outta that knife and loved it , except for that coating !

For #1, I would have thought it was a regular coated one with the coating removed...appears the black is still in the stampings. Other than some very early Tantos, I have never seen a Cold Steel knife with stamped markings in an uncoated blade. But I suppose its possible.

Concealex sheath for the uncoated Carbon V SRK is unlike any sheath I have ever seen on legitimate Cold Steel fixed blades. Construction wise, locking points, the way attachment hardware is put on .. all looks wrong.

Concealex sheath for the uncoated Carbon V SRK is unlike any sheath I have ever seen on legitimate Cold Steel fixed blades. Construction wise, locking points, the way attachment hardware is put on .. all looks wrong.

If you are referring to the one in pics 1, 6, and 16, it is legit...just checked the archived catalogs and they appeared in 1999 and 2000

One of my old Carbon V SRKs has that sheath, and I've seen a pic of another Carbon V SRK here on bfc that had one. The pics in this thread are only the 3rd time I've seen that sheath, though, so I think it must have only been used for a very short time, maybe a temporary transitional thing between Cordura and Secue-Ex?

edit: Okay, jlauffer answered that for me.:D:thumbsup:

I have a few of the older Cold Steel kydex sheaths for the SRK and Recon Tanto. Still my favorite sheaths they've made!

Just curious I recently bought and srk from a reputable dealer but the sheath does not say anything on it? I do not have knives in hand but the picture on the website shows the sheath n it does not say anything? So is it a fake then?

Just curious I recently bought and srk from a reputable dealer but the sheath does not say anything on it? I do not have knives in hand but the picture on the website shows the sheath n it does not say anything? So is it a fake then?

There are two legitimate Secure-Ex sheaths, as pictured above. The first model with the full throat is unmarked. You will still find SRKs with these sheaths out there, so hopefully that's what you purchased. The second style, with the throat possessing an angled front and rear, should always be marked on genuine knives (as far as I've seen).

Pictures of your knife and sheath would definitely help. Please post photos when your knife arrives.

-Steve

Are there legit SRK sheaths that are stamped only "Secure-Ex" but without the "Cold Steel" above?
Or is only Secure-Ex on the sheath a red flag for clones?

I really can't stand Photobucket! I edited my original post to restore the photos using a worthwhile image-hosting site (unlike Photobucket).

It will take me awhile, but I'll get to the photos in my Counterfeit, anyone? thread, too.

-Steve

Last edited:
Back