Stag Eating Bugs ??

Has anyone heard of a bug that will eat stag. A friend told me he heard about this and checked his knives and one of his cheaper ones had the stag handle almost gone. Luckily they did not get any of his expensive ones. How do you prevent this? Has anyone else had any problem with this? I had never heard of this before. It might be a good idea to check any knives you have had stored a long time.

I would rather have a flesh eating virus eat my face off than to have bugs eat the stag off my knives. ;) But no, I have never heard of such a thing.

dwain said:
Has anyone heard of a bug that will eat stag.

Crabs have been known to happen at Stag parties when the drunken attendees have too much intimate contact with the strippers! :eek: :D

Sorry...seriously...

I'll check into it, but having been in the wilderness survival game for a long time, I have never heard of this. It's amazing how often one finds the discarded antlers of bucks in the mountains, sometimes there for several seasons. You can use them still as tools and for all sorts of things, with no noticeable damage to the interior of the antler. Hope this helps. It smells of a "Wilderness Myth" as opposed to an "Urban Myth."

There are bettles/wevils that will eat horn. I had a blackpowder powder horn made from cow horn. I was hanging out in my shed. I noticed the other day it had trails or grooves in the horn that look as if some insect had eaten it. In some places they had penetrated the horn itself.

"Marv Gaston, owner of Taxidermy Unlimited, said beetles and moths feed on the protein matter of hair, fur, feathers, skin, antlers, horns, hooves and claws. One reason the insects are showing up on trophies more frequently is that tanneries are now prohibited from using arsenic or other residual chemicals in the tanning process.

Skins are now soaked in a liquid and absorb an insect repellent which can sometimes keep bugs away for years. However, a trophy should be inspected annually. Clinton said birds, especially turkeys, are susceptible to infestation. Larvae will devour leathers and if the damage is not recognized early, the trophy is usually irreparable.

A sure-fire way to kill insects and larvae is to put the mount in a freezer. However, all mounts need to be moved into cold storage at the same time to ensure that all of the trophy-eating critters are wiped out."

If you have any such products check them regularly for signs of damage. When I read this I added bug protection to the safe that holds my guns and knives with stag grips.

In my neck of the woods deer shed in January, rodents eat the deer antler sheds, usually within 6 to 8 months, for the calcium they contain. We rarely find intact antlers during the bow season that starts in September. If we are going to get them we have to start looking in Febuary or March.

ros pretty much covered it regarding horn eating beetle larvae—a pretty common topic raised in forums addressing Italian stiletto collection. Only other thing I’ve read about is soaking the scales in mineral oil to both keep them from drying out (over time) and maybe makes the horn less palatable to beetle larvae.
all da best dudes & not-dudes,
rats...

I can provide a picture of a buffalo horn utensil eaten away by some sort of bug. I'll add a picture later. Don't know how to protect the horn from being eaten though.

Clif

Could it be some kind of imitation stag? Not plastic, but something else that bugs would eat?

Thanks for all the info. I thought there would be more replies to this topic, as there is the potential to lose some really valuable knives.

I have not heard of it but would be interested in finding out more. I did lose a fixed blade on my property once while hiking and it had a stag handle on it. I rehiked the same trail the next day searching for it and eventually found it. I was a little dissappointed that a critter of some kind got his mineral supplement and calcium daily allowance by knawing away a portion of one side of the handle but I at least got the knife back.

dwain said:
Has anyone heard of a bug that will eat stag. A friend told me he heard about this and checked his knives and one of his cheaper ones had the stag handle almost gone. Luckily they did not get any of his expensive ones. How do you prevent this? Has anyone else had any problem with this? I had never heard of this before. It might be a good idea to check any knives you have had stored a long time.

Hey to a fellow Southern Illinoisian!

Yes there are bugs that will eat horn and antler if left alone long enough. I think the best way to stop them is soak the knife in mineral oil not only does it preserve the horn but will smother the little critters.

Back