Recommendation? Stainless steel mandolines: Bron Coucke vs Kai Bras

OMG what great mandolines! Sorry I can't advise you on these deluxe kitchen tools. I use a food processor for big jobs, and for the small jobs it doesn't handle well or at all, I use a Benriner original model, 2½" wide, green, with catch tray.

tray-set_ph-001.jpg

Easy? Well, it's not rocket science. The finger guard is clumsy and I don't use it, I fold a dish towel. Stay focused and alert with any sharp tool, and don't try to slice the last ½" of whatever you're slicing. In Japan you can buy it with or without the catch tray, but I haven't seen it here without.

I just checked and the going price seems to be $26.

You can find it on Amazon as "Vegetable Slicer Green (Old Version) by Benriner." Cutlery dealers who import Japanese kitchen knives mostly sell it, and I would buy from them before Amazon. Unfortunately I can't give you a link but they're easy to find. Just remember the right price is $26.

There is also a Super Benriner (3¾" wide) and a Jumbo Benriner (4¾" wide). I haven't used them. Most people online prefer the original model. Most people except the New York Times, and they rarely get stuff like this right.

Here is Benriner's web site, optimized for phones:

http://www.benriner.co.jp/benriner_en/index.html

Hey guys, some of us still use computers! The downloadable manuals are in Japanese, but English-language packaging includes a computer translated English manual.

Here is a really good video with some really suck music.

Our kitchen experts mostly hang out in the Kitchen Cutlery & Tools sub-forum in Knife Specific Discussion. Confusing, isn't it? If you don't get an answer here, ask a moderator to move your post there. You can get a moderator's attention by clicking the "Report" triangle at the bottom of your post.

Last edited:
Second the recommendation of the Benriner. I have two, one large, one small. Inexpensive, very effective, and you can sharpen the blades (I would never buy a mandoline that didn't allow that). To avoid the "hey, where did my fingertip go!" syndrome, I wear a Michael Jackson kevlar glove on the at-risk hand.

Back