stanley white's new edition

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Customized Big Boar Tusker by stanley white.

ptusker.jpg

Scott

That looks GREAT Scott!

For those interested this is made in O-1 steel, 8" blade, 1/4" thick, 2" wide, 5" handle, 1/2" exposed tang, 1" ricasso, brass guard, bolts, and brown micarta handle slabs 3/8" thick. I wanted to try out a ricasso / guard combination in place of a traditional choil this time around.

Now let me give you the rest of the story...

When I received my previous Tuskers they were extremely comfortable but I wanted a bit more meat on the handle. I visited Scott and we spoke and he drew out a design on a piece of O-1 and the project began.

Scott sent me a picture. I sent him comments. He sent me another e-mail. I sent him comments. He took a piece of scrap steel and tried what I suggested and I realized that it wouldn't work with my vision of the handle design. I measured a bunch of knives and sent him suggestions. He looked at my ideas and made recommendations. We e-mailed back and forth and back and forth.

You want to talk about patience?

Scott and I traded 48 e-mails and nine pictures back and forth to get the handle on this one designed the way it is.

That shows Scott's patience / customer service and my borderline unhealthy over-thinking of everything. :D

That is why I will give my money to Scott Gossman from here on out. Scott takes your ideas and makes them reality! Even better Scott tells you when he cannot do something or when your ideas can be executed but upon completion will produce a knife that will be a pain in the butt to use.

Thank you again Scott! I look forward to getting this one in my hands!

-Stan

Again nice job Scott, I love your Kephart, it's on my list. Stanley has good taste and it's a perfect match the best of both worlds. I am jealous. :)

Again nice job Scott, I love your Kephart, it's on my list. Stanley has good taste and it's a perfect match the best of both worlds. I am jealous. :)

Scott is right the first thing we spoke of was a Kephart style handle on an 8" spear point Big Boar Tusker blade.

I was jokingly going to call it the TuskHart or something. :D

Glad you like the knife Ossa1970 -- thank you for the compliment.

I can't wait to get this into my hands!

-Stan

My apologies for the lack of follow-up on this thread.

I received the knife last week and it is PERFECT.

Scott is making me a second one with black micarta and stainless hardware. Once I receive the second one I am done buying large fixed blade knives. For me, there is nothing that could be improved on this design. Equally true there is no excess. This design is pure performance -- nothing more or less -- no excess.

I hope to post some pics soon. One will compare this Tusker's larger handle to the regular sized one.

More to follow!

-Stan

Here are some handle comparison pics between the original Big Boar Tusker that Scott built and my "Big Boar Tusker Two Point Oh" with the larger handle, guard, and a choil vice ricasso.

You can see how much larger this handle is -- I love it!

-Stan

I would also like to add that my guarded "Two Point Oh" Big Boar Tusker balances right at the guard.

In hand the knife is totally neutral. I suspect fatigue during extended use will be minimal.

-Stan

Ok so THAT is some Outstanding Work!!
Look forward to the Black/Stainless version...!

Cheers,

Here's Stan's other Tusker made with black micarta and SS hardware. I'll post another pic after I darken it with ferric acid.
Scott

swtusker.jpg

Back