Stider combat knife recomendations

DgrantD

BANNED
I am looking at buying a strider knife as a combat knife, I am not military yet but will be. Any recomendations? I have been looking at the BN. Should I get one with serations?

thanks

Grant

MT Mod 10, MT, MT-L, WB, BT or BN; in that order. Serrations? I have a BT-SS. I haven't used the serrations yet. Just my opinions...

Any specific reason why the BN isnt at the top of y'alls list. Is the tip not good for penetration? BTW if anyone on this board grabed that Strider GB for 225 on ebay tonight you beat me by 4 minutes, man was I dissapointed. have yet to get my first strider, hopefully better luck next time. Thanks for the help.

Grant

I would say the MT Mod-10 and Dwyer D9 which is in production right now. If you're looking for a slightly smaller knife look at the EB-LT or the EB-LS, great CQB knife. Your choice should depend on what kind of gear your carrying and whether or not you have an LCE, TAC Vest, pistol belt or what the hell ever. You need to be able to get to your blade with all of your gear on. Alot of times the bigger blades are too much and awkward with all the s*** on. I have an EB-LT that I rig to the front of my RACK system when I jump and when doing anything in the field. It's right there readily accessible and I don't have to fumble f*** around for it. Low crawling scuffs it up pretty good but I beat the f*** out of my knives. That's what they're for. Only thing is kydex sheath is damn loud at night. My 2 cents, but if your going in service think about accessibility and WEIGHT.... 2/75 SUA SPONTE'

IMO, Strider Tantos are the best Tantos, period. However, Strider spearpoints are more usable. I have an AR, a DB and the BT-SS I mentioned. I also have a spearpoint Model 2 SnG ordered (from Matt Donohue). My AR penetrates better than my DB or BT-SS. The DB has a better penetrating tip than the BN.

Again, these are just my opinions.

DgrantD,

Most of the Strider line will do the job for ya. Weather you get a Tanto or a Spear point, rest assure it will get the job done. It will be more of a personal choice that you have to make. I will agree with the majority the MT or MT-L.

Good luck in your choice, Brian Everett

I like the BN. But, it's a very big knife. So, depending on what size person you are you may or may not like it. It may be also be a little heavy to carry around a lot.

I've never used mine yet, but ideally I see the BN as a stabbing and chopping tool. I know it will slice, but there are other blade shapes and grinds that would perform this function better. So, I guess it all depends on what you plan on using it for.

Eric

I agree with tfc111601. I carry an EB-LS on a drop rig with my field gear. If I'm wearing civies or doing more "humanitarian" missions in counties where the local government doesn't want to make a big deal of our prescence, I'll carry the folder only. I used to carry a larger knife (by another maker) on my LBE, but I found the larger size actually didn't help. Now, I carry the EB-LS, a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn combat folder, and a Gerber multi-tool. That's all you need really. Feel free to substitute the combat folder for an AR or GB. I've got a GB, but I personally like the Gerber's 4.5" blade. There haven't been many knife fights that I can remember, and most of the time you knives get used for things other than fighting. Given that, why do you need a 7" blade? My two cents.

Are you a new soldier, or returning to AD? If you are part of the conventional forces, most commanders and first sergeants look real hard soldiers carrying their own large fixed blades beyond the M-9 bayonet (and that's if you're infantry). I can't speak for the USMC, but I think they'll agree that anything but a K-Bar is skirting the boundaries. If you're any other branch but that, they look even harder. Before I came to the dark side, I had kittens when my soldiers carried big blades (partly why I also got rid of mine; something about practicing what you preach...). Let's face it, we in the military tend to be more conformist by nature...you'll look extremely out of place in a conventional unit with a big knife. Small fixed blades and folders are they way to go.

AR folder, MT scout, and EB-LS are my military duty knives. Some or all of them are on my body depending on threat levels and whether or not I am in civvies or full battle load. I chose the spearpoints over the tantos simply because they are the only thing I know how to sharpen in the field. I'm lame like that. Tantos are the heat if you know their limitations. As a medic, I usually end up prepping animals for food and although I've done it with a tanto, it's not my first choice. Just about everything made by STRIDER is designed to be carried by soldiers in the field. So you really can't go wrong. I'd suggest being a little conservative on size since our modern methods of warfare seem to require about 40 pounds of junk on your body.

Jason

MK1A Scout (formerly MSC7.5)

Fighting style blade with plenty of belly for slicing and top swedge for stabbing. Thumb grove and choil for control, small top and bottom guards for finger protection during rough activities. Ergonomic handle shape to prevent slippage. Large enough to chop with, light enough to carry.

Anyone care to explain the MT series for me? Someone really needs to make a strider collectors page.

Go to www.badmojo.tv then you click on links. There you will find a link to a sister-page called "Zombiekiller". On that site I think you will find the most exstensive gallery of Strider Knives on the internet.

Wow! I can't tell you how much fun i had looking at all these pics, great work!!!

I really enjoyed checking out all these Strider Knives.

Good stuff, thanks for directing us to the link

respects, Guro Jeff

The BT is a pretty good choice. Serrations cut rope like a hot blade through butter, tanto tip is pretty beefy and extra strong, and the rest of the blade seems to hold a nice edge.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the models mentioned above and the Strider guys will always have your back. Best of luck with your endeavors.

Dsc00099.jpg

Back