Stiffhorn………kinda

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I made myself a Loveless inspire Stiffhorn pattern utility this week. Of course I’m no Bob Loveless but I do like the results 😁 I used 1/8in 1084 for my blade and some orange G10 for the scales. I hollow ground the 3in blade to a razor thin edge. Need to do some test cuts to find out if I went too thin though. I even tested my skills by tapering the tiny tang. The whole knife is 6 5/8in overall. Weight is a tiny 1.5oz!

IMG_4570.jpegIMG_4571.jpeg

Last edited:
Welp! I went too thin! I tried a small push cut and the edge didn’t hold up. Back out to the shop! A little more ground off and now we’re good! I actually like the reduced grip width👍 The blade has a whole new shape too! It cuts and carves well now without distorting the edge. Gonna take another run at this design again someday 😎

IMG_4575.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 8
The original edge was like straight razor thin. It was really flexible but I had hopes. Reality stepped in and showed me what I suspected. Too thin. Not a steel problem. Just the madman at the grinder 🤪 Now it’s still a thin cutting edge but has enough mass to support itself 💪

The original edge was like straight razor thin. It was really flexible but I had hopes. Reality stepped in and showed me what I suspected. Too thin. Not a steel problem. Just the madman at the grinder 🤪 Now it’s still a thin cutting edge but has enough mass to support itself 💪
what hardness? 1084 at 61 RC is still pretty tough.

It’s about RC60. Believe me it was NOT the steel👍 It was SUPER thin! Really I’m not that upset with how it all went because I prefer this handle size more. I would have preferred to nail everything perfectly first time every time but that’s not how you build skills. Next time will be better👍

I curled up the end of a stick and attempted a push cut the trip them off. Maybe 3/8in deep and the edge buckled.

Welp! I went too thin! I tried a small push cut and the edge didn’t hold up. Back out to the shop! A little more ground off and now we’re good! I actually like the reduced grip width👍 The blade has a whole new shape too! It cuts and carves well now without distorting the edge. Gonna take another run at this design again someday 😎

View attachment 2464746
Now that is a gorgeous little blade. Make it flat grind and it would be perfect.

Back