Recommendation? Stockman or Trapper

Greetings,
I'm looking to buy either Stockman or Trapper (with 2 or 3) blades.
Planning to buy for me and another for my father
(who doesn't know much of knives).
Since I'm not familiar with traditionals, I'm asking if You fellows could advice me.

I have possibility buy either Case Cutlery or Frost Cutlery products.
Which one would You recommend?

Blade lenght(s) is not so important, but I'd like to buy good quality knifes
especially for my father.
And with either bone or wood scales.

Thanks You for any help and suggestions!

I would go with a Case Stockman. Just personal preference but the 090 pattern is my favorite Stockman pattern that Case produces. I have a few 63090's and I'll probably buy more in the future.

Case has lots of Stockman patterns to choose from and lots of handle material options.

Yep, what Railsplitter said. Looking at Case's variety of stockmans will keep you busy all morning.

I'd go with the stockman. I've owned a bunch of trappers and really never found a good use for that long spey blade other than skinning and spreading peanut butter, and I don't skin much of anything anymore. The stockman set of blades appears to be more utilitarian than the trapper. IMHO--KV

To me, go with Case over Frost. It's a no brainer, and made in Pennsylvania. I prefer a stockman over a trapper. Case offers stockmans in a variety of sizes, and with a variety of blade options. I'm sure one would fit what you're looking for. And then, you get to start deciding on handle material!

Between Case and Frost, Case would win out. I've seen too many bad votes/reviews for the Frost.
For a good budget knife, I would go Rough Rider. They have a good reputation here (refer to the 'Rough Rider and Related Slipjoints' thread.)
Stockman or Trapper? My personal preference would be the Stockman.
BTW If your father has arthritic hands, or prefers a lighter pull, get him a Buck 301 Stockman. 3 blades, each in their own spring. Carrys well, not too thick.
The 301 averages around a 4.5 to 5 pull (a 91mm SAK being a 5 pull) on all three blades.
The Rough Rider large stockmans I have are not bad, maybe a 6 pull, or slightly over.
I see no reason to fight with a knife to open it.
Anyway, Case, Buck, and Rough Rider all make an excellent Stockman. I only have the Buck and Rough Rider, Case is out of my price range.

I would suggest you consider the GEC #48 Improved Trapper. I was never a fan of the spey blade in general and much prefer the Improved Trapper blade choice. That is especially true if the knife is going to be used for skinning.

It is hard to beat the Rough Rider knives with stag or bone handles. Been really happy with them. But I still prefer GEC stuff overall even though GEC stuff costs a lot more.

I would not even consider a Frost branded knife... as Rough Riders are consistently better made in my opinion and cost about the same.

If you want either Case or Frost, I'd go with Case every time.

Stockman, either Case or Rough Rider. My favorite is the Case 6318pu, with punch in place of the spey. Definitely Rough Rider over Frost for a less-expensive alternative. I have not personally handled a Colt or Marbles labeled stockman, but if you found one, either would be preferable to the Frost as well.

Definitely a stockman, and Case makes lots of good ones. I'm partial to the big #75 pattern, but if you like something more pocketable, then I would look at the Humpback stockman, the #46 pattern. It's just over 3½" closed, and has sunk joints, so no sharp edges to catch in your pocket. Here's mine.

86589dd1-c5bc-474c-b1f6-09333b1fdf6d_zpszgcgl32i.jpg~original

4b1f4cdd-8016-42e3-8130-6d958e2f51e6_zpsw67syqj6.jpg~original

For me the Case 6318, in any of it's many variations, comes as close to the "Perfect EDC" as I will ever come. Hefty enough to cut most anything a pocketknife is suitable for, yet very front pocket friendly, as well as laying nicely in the hand - that is my recommendation (and what I carry 90% of the time). OH
IMG_98541.JPG

I vote stockman also. I think it is interesting there are some many recommendations for stockman, because I think the trapper is Case's biggest seller.

...My favorite is the Case 6318pu, with punch in place of the spey...
Lots of good choices presented here but I second H.B.'s choice when I consider the OP's request. Case over Frost and usually a Jack (trapper) over stockman for me except the Case 6318pu beats them all. If you'd like a money saving Jack consider the Schrade 93ot, a two blade Jack with clip and sheepfoot for far less than $20. If you want the hardest working stockman for not much more than an inexpensive Schrade look at either a Buck 303 or 301. My two cents, if you get a chance let us know what you choose and how it fairs.

Case Stockman, try and get one with snappy springs. I have 3 of them and only one has less than satisfactory spring tension, like too soft.

Also beautiful humpback stockmans, wish I could find some of those autumn orange ones!

I have possibility buy either Case Cutlery or Frost Cutlery products.
Which one would You recommend?

I'm guessing English is not your first language? If not, that's OK, we will figure it out.

If you meant "but" but miss-typed "buy", there's plenty of other brands.

If you did mean "buy", but something got lost in the translation, then ignore Frost (and Steel Warrior, one of their sub-brands). The bone will warp away from the liners, the dye rubs off, they're just not very good. Rough Rider is better for a cheap traditional. As for Case, it depends if you want stainless or carbon (non-stainless) steel. There is plenty to choose from for stainless, but if you are OK with carbon, go with something vintage (1980's and earlier). There are always plenty of new or well-kept vintage Cases on eBay for reasonable prices (and plenty at unreasonable prices). My personal favorites are the 6332 (63032 is the modern version) and the 6318HE stockmans. Both have a pen blade in place of the spay blade, which I find more useful.

As for stockman vs. trapper, I would recommend a stockman for a first (and possibly only) traditional knife. It's simply more versatile. You have the large main curved blade, a shorter one for detailed cutting, and the sheepsfoot for when you want a straight edge (great for opening packages). Or, alternatively, a wharncliffe trapper. One curved edge, one straight (wharncliffe), same length. Very handy.

I would definitely go with a stockman, I've only got 2 trappers ( a rough rider tiny trapper and a bulldog brand small saddlehorn trapper ) and while I tolerate them because they're so small I just don't like having 2 equal length blades on one folder.
I love the combination a stockman offers though I prefer to Max out on 2 knife blades and if I was to suggest something I'd suggest a peanut.
Crinked blades is the practice of slightly bending one blades to fit all 3 into a stockman and I hear that the buck 303 doesn't do this which you may like.

Good point about crinked blades, Hickory n steel.

That's another plug for the Humpback Stockman discussed above. The blades are offset instead of crinked.

Back