Storing Folders

]Is there a preferred way to store folders? i.e. should they be kept open or closed? The reason I ask is that I read an ad the other day and the seller remarked that he stored his open. Thanks!

Open or closed should make no difference, as long as the blades are fully open or fully closed. Same stresses on the springs. Half-open is a problem.

If half open hurts the springs, they were improperly made.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't be concerned about open vs. closed in storage. As long as they are stored CLEAN & DRY, it shouldn't make a difference. Also, don't store them inside a leather sheath (if they have one). The leather, over time, could trap moisture against the knife and cause corrosion. OR, if you must store it in the sheath, put the knife in a zip-loc bag first (this is what I do). The big thing, so far as I'm concerned, is just make sure the knife is clean & dry. If it's non-stainless, put a light coat of oil on the blade before storing it away.

Open or closed should make no difference, as long as the blades are fully open or fully closed. Same stresses on the springs. Half-open is a problem.

I would have thought that springs kept static will not suffer measurable wear. It would take a few decades for it to have any effect on the springs I would think. The moving of springs, as in opening and closing, should be the cause of wearing springs.

I would have thought that springs kept static will not suffer measurable wear. It would take a few decades for it to have any effect on the springs I would think. The moving of springs, as in opening and closing, should be the cause of wearing springs.

Decades, yes. Seen it with display knives more than once.

Back