Recommendation? Stout stockman

JD Bear

Gold Member
Hey guys. I was hoping to get some opinions and feedback about bigger, stout stockman models. I really love my Case large stockman's and I was looking for something else that's got that tough feel. I don't care for Buck's 301 because those springs are too weak for my taste. I like Case's medium stockman's, but I was looking for an option with thicker blades, closer to the large. I don't really have much experience with GEC either. I was thinking about giving a German made Boker a try, but I really prefer USA made knives. I know CK has one specific stockman that I've been looking at but I haven't decided on it yet. I'm on a quest for a larger sheepsfoot and I figure since I love the stockman pattern it might not be bad way to go. Thanks for the input fellas....

I just recently picked up a Queen Stockman and it is quite the beast. I do not have many Stockmens but I do have a few and this one is by far the largest. It is the only traditional I have at the moment that has the heft and panache to potentially compete with some of my modern folders for harder use. It has D2 steel blades and liners that are not brass (I say that because I do not know if the liners are stainless or not, they just aren't brass).

All in all, it is an awesome knife and though it is large and heavy in the pocket (it might do better in a pouch or sheath), it is most definitely designed to be a workhorse. I don't think Queen makes these anymore, though I could be wrong. You might be able to scoop one up on the secondary market though, like I did. Here are a couple pics, I can take more of the sheepsfoot and spey blades if you would like a little bit later.

eXECaKE.jpg

cigZD9L.jpg

zQvhJLZ.jpg

pvxES5X.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Dylan. That's exactly what I was talking about. I'll have to look around for something similar. That looks like a stockman I could throw in my pocket or on my belt and not be worried I only have one knife on me....

GEC cattle knives and stockmans are stout. I can't PM you, so email me at and I'll send you links to the #98 Cattle knife that's still available in red micarta and ebony at a non forum approved dealer. It's a main clip blade of considerable thickness, nice large sheepsfoot, and a punch instead of a spey blade. The #98 is I think the biggest pattern you can get.

Last edited:
How about a Sowbelly? The stoutest stockman that I have is my Queen made Winchester 3949 - it's a tank. I'd just recommend one of these if they were in production, but they can be found pretty inexpensively on the auction site. As far as current production goes, there's the Queen/S&M 60 pattern sowbelly. It has a pretty substantial sheepsfoot.

Both the GEC 81 and 82 would be good options except that they're impossible to find on the secondary market and tend to go for a lot of money. GEC is doing a run of 66s right now. It's a really great little stockman but might not be quite large enough for your purposes.

How about a Sowbelly? The stoutest stockman that I have is my Queen made Winchester 3949 - it's a tank. I'd just recommend one of these if they were in production, but they can be found pretty inexpensively on the auction site. As far as current production goes, there's the Queen/S&M 60 pattern sowbelly. It has a pretty substantial sheepsfoot.

Both the GEC 81 and 82 would be good options except that they're impossible to find on the secondary market and tend to go for a lot of money. GEC is doing a run of 66s right now. It's a really great little stockman but might not be quite large enough for your purposes.

I have a Case sowbelly and when I ordered it I thought it was going to be an instant favorite. Didn't speak to me though. It's definitely solid though. I think a GEC 81 would be awesome but I've never seen them available...

I edited in another picture of my Queen to display the secondary blades. Apologies for the lack of quality, I was in a bit of a hurry to get back to work.

Western 742 stainless. Not quite as large as the case 75 frame stockman, but somewhere in between your standard large stockman and the case 75, with thick, heavy construction guaranteed to satisfy the need for a 'stout' feeling knife. You wont be able to find them at dealers, but you can track them down on Ebay sometimes (cheaply, even!) Love mine, beast of a traditional folder.

ETA: On the subject of Queen, have you looked at a railsplitter (queen #63)? Perhaps the blades will seem thin, but the frame and springs are massive and the knife has that satisfying substantiality I find in heavy construction. I have mine in the same covers as the stockman posted above (amber cut stag bone) and its great.

Last edited:
Look around for a used (or NIB) Buck 307 Wrangler - made by Camillus in that era of Buck pocketknives. Same size as the Case 75 frame - very stout, I've carried one as a hunting knife for years. OH

IMG_23722.JPG

Some suggestions for your consideration of excellent and stout stockman knives: Camillus #67, a Queen #9 as well as the old Winchester "Black box" c. 1987 3964 (made by Queen) stockman. Another great knife, though expensive, is a Bose/Case Cattle Knife.
IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2736.JPGIMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG
Take Care,
Mike

Last edited:
The Queen #49 Cattle King is about the stoutest I've tried, and I've tried many. 4¼" closed and with D2 blades, it's a workhorse.

Curly Zebrawood
cc7d09d0-a71b-46a1-a956-d33139176b5d_zpsvsl57pcr.jpg~original

Carved Stag Bone
e70b90a3-9fdb-4141-bd37-13599a471a7e_zpsnpjzsm2z.jpg~original

I'm on a quest for a larger sheepsfoot and I figure since I love the stockman pattern it might not be bad way to go.

If you want a nice large sheepsfoot on a stockman, I'd strongly consider a Case sowbelly stockman. I'm not not normally a fan of Case patterns, but they got everything right on the sowbelly. It's a wonderful beefy folder.

hjOXUmBh.jpg

Another good stockman with a nice beefy sheepsfoot is the Schrade Old Timer 80T. You can still find the old US made ones on auction.

g9PPCXBh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. I thought about a few that were mentioned. I've been considering either Queen or Schatt and Morgan. The railsplitter looks great but the stories about the QC makes me so dang nervous cause they aren't cheap. Mike at CK has an older one from around 2006 that might not be bad, and a large stockman from S&M that looks awesome but I never hear about them so I don't have any reference. That 307 looks good too Old Hunter, especially since Buck is my brand. This is tough and fun at the same time and I'm glad you guys are along for the ride. My family is moving in a little over a month, so I get one more knife to last me a little while as we get expenses figured out. I shouldn't even mention that there's a GEC 54 beaver tail that wandered into my sight too....

I'm with Jeff, the Queen #49 Cattle King is the one to have. I regularly carry Schrade 8OT/881's, a Case 75 and the GEC #81, #82 & #98's, the Queen would EASILY out cut them all and the D2 nearly qualifies as stainless to boot. Edge holding is remarkable and it is also much less likely to roll an edge. The sheepsfoot rides a little high so you may elect to drop that to make it more comfy when using the main.

I don't have one and may even get flamed for this.
Opinions welcome for my education.
I have always thought I might like a Cold Steel Ranch Boss.
Looks pretty butch anyway. S35VN
Have heard good and bad on the quality but I like the way it looks and pretty large.
So far I have been all about the Case Trappers (have a few) and they really do it for me in this size blade.

I was thinking about giving a German made Boker a try
I like the look of the Bokers (blade etching and scales for sure) and have some but the finish is just not even close to Case and the spring tension is hit or miss. In my experience they can be as light as no "talk" to "oh my god I just ripped up my finger nail . . . AGAIN !" too strong a spring. Raggedy assed unfinished brass liners. Not good.

I don't have one and may even get flamed for this.
Opinions welcome for my education.
I have always thought I might like a Cold Steel Ranch Boss.
Looks pretty butch anyway. S35VN
Have heard good and bad on the quality but I like the way it looks and pretty large.
So far I have been all about the Case Trappers (have a few) and they really do it for me in this size blade.

If I remember correctly, the Cold Steel Ranch Boss was made by Queen, could be wrong though. However, it was a limited run and was/is frightfully expensive. No doubt it would do the trick though, S35v is no joke.

I failed to mention that the knife I posted earlier in this thread is also a Queen #49.

I have about 20 different stockman knives made from several brands: Buck, Case, GEC, Boker, Schrade, Schrade IXL, Gerber, Hen & Rooster...out of all of them the Queen #49 Cattle King in curly Zebra is my favorite.

There are a few others you can look for as well:

Buck #307 Wrangler: made by Camillus; 4-1/4" closed
Camillus #718Y
"Yello-Jacket" Stockman; 4-1/4 closed
Remington #R9501: made by Camillus, most had 0170-6C blades, very good carbon steel; 4-1/4" closed
Schleipner "Eye Brand" #350DS with stag handles; 4-1/4" closed
U.S. Schrade #858OT: larger than the Case #75 patterns; 4-5/8" closed.

~Chris

Back