Strange discoloration on the blade of my new SR1

I already posted this yesterday in another thread but I think it distracted from the original topic so I open a new thread for it.

I found some kind of discoloration right above the edge. It's on both sides of the blade but only on the rear half of each side. It's only a little stripe that has a slightly different color.
Couldn't manage to upload a pic so here is a link to the pics.
http://imgur.com/a/Do4MB
I haven't used the knife yet so it must have come from the factory like this. Any idea what this could be?

Last edited:
Thanks, fixed the link.
Or can it be that the blade maybe overheated while sharpening which caused the slight colorchange?
I wonder what it is....

Shame there have been a couple issues with these, my first one had a small screw issue on the pocket clip, but my second one has been absolutely flawless, perfect lockup, grind and fit/finish.

I really don't know what it is...it's only on the rear part of the blade right above the edge on both sides of the blade and looks the same on both sides....

I've heard about burnt edges but I've never seen one. I guess the sharpened part would be discolored if this was the case but the sharpened part looks fine...the discoloration is right above it

Last edited:
It's just a factory blemish of some sort mate, i think you should look into sending it back to get a good one, it happens with all brands really, i've had worse defects on a Sebenza. Get it swapped for one that is perfect and you will enjoy it much more and want to use it, defects like this can drive us knife folks crazy. We like to put our own blemishes on our blades :thumbsup:

If it's just a cosmetic issue it's ok.
I was just afraid it could be something that might affect the steel and cause unpleasent things like chipping or rolling

maybe from the finish applicatii
If it's just a cosmetic issue it's ok.
I was just afraid it could be something that might affect the steel and cause unpleasent things like chipping or rolling

if it does chip, roll or break, then send it back. cold steels warranty coverage is usually pretty decent on defects..

Back