Strange infi steel question????

A moment ago I had 2 knives on my chest next to my compass and I noticed something weird.One knife made of ats-34 made my compass dial go crazy when just barely next to it,not so weird I know but my SJ did not but barely make the compass needle move?Almost like it had no steel in the blade?Why is this or why does infi not react like other steels? Can this be a performance indicater or does it have something to do with the composition of infi?

Yeah Jerry, spill the beans. What is this stuff made of? I figure that it has some beer can in it :D and maybe something else.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the ATS blade was charged with static electricity or something?

Jerry, RED ALERT!! Delete, delete, delete!

I believe some makers use strong magnets to hold knives still while they're being worked on, and this may have magnetized the ATS-34 blade. Do things like paper clips stick it? That would confirm it.

Not a metallurgist or machinist, but....

Certain types of stainless steel are non-magnetic. Machinists use magnets to test if steel is stainless or non-stainless. I think that you need to use different cutting implements on stainless, possibly because it's a little harder.

I would suspect that the 18/8 stainless used in kitchen utensils is non-magnetic. However, most stainless knife steels that I've owned, nothing fancy - various grades of ATS, AUS, etc., seem to be magnetic. I haven't gone around testing things with a magnet, but I may just do that now.

If you're really curious, you might post this question in one of the shop-talk forums. There are makers out there who really know their different grades of steel, and could probably give you a good reason why some stainless is non-magnetic.

Back