How To Stretch 2 super stiff lockback

So I just got my Stretch 2 Vtoku-2 in earlier today. First impressions are factory edge is great and the knife feels good in the hand. It has a nice weight: not too light and not too heavy. Absolutely no blade play and a very secure lock-up.

However, my issue is it's lockback mechanism is really really stiff. This is probably is leading to my other lesser complaint of the deployment being slightly tight (although it is very smooth). It doesn't feel gritty and still has factory oil in it. Perhaps I just need to get used to the spyderhole since I'm more accustomed to flippers, but it's a pretty slow deploy. On a similar note since I am used to liner-locks maybe most lockbacks are this tough but I just wanted to make sure this is a typical break in type thing or that it wasn't expected to adjust some sort of tensioning bar upon first use. I know I'll need to open / close it several hundred times although I don't know if it's truly necessary to disassemble and clean out then oil as well.

Before doing anything, try adding a drop of light oil to the area of the tang where the lock bar rides. You can also try loosening the pivot slightly and/or the pivot screw for the lock bar.

In general a back lock will never be as easy to deploy as a frame lock but it shouldn't be really difficult to deploy either. All of mine (all Spydercos) are actually nice and smooth.

Yeah it's stiff. I have the same knife. It's about the same as my Delica or my Ayoob so I don't think it's a problem.

I've just been spoiled by knives with compression or frame locks that will pop open with way less effort.

Lockbacks have a bias towards closing. If you partially open one and let it go it will snap shut. What you are describing is the design and not a fault. Oil it up, use the heck out of it and it will get smoother but should always have that bias. It's a feature I appreciate and the type lock I have used since the 70's. The Stretch is a great one. Give it a chance and you might get hooked like I did.

Joe

It's never gonna feel like a liner lock, but I have found that if the screw for the pin that the lock bar pivots on is excessively tight it can bind the action.

The lock bar tension to unlock can be adjusted by slightly bending the flat spring.

My Stretch 1 models are much easier on the thumb to unlock.
I noticed the Stretch 2 uses the longer lock bar from the Endura design however, it has considerably higher spring force to overcome the unlock.

Regards,
FK

Last edited:
hc5mjmW.jpg

I tweaked the lock bar just a little.

When mine arrived it was all of the things you mentioned... Stiff... lock bar crunchy...action was smooth but laboring.

I tore it down...micro meshed all the insides...liners...frn...bushings... BUT that wasn't all.

I also marked the lock bar and spring with a black marker, reassembled and moved it so see where there was still rubbing...disassembled and sanded the spots where the marker wore off. Then I filed smooth the underside of the lock bar... and filed smooth where the lock bar spring rubs the bar... reassembled and boom, smooth, no more crunch, lock bar was easier to press action was smoother. BUT that isn't all! lol

Sus410 is soft...so no matter how well you think you can get it, in my opinion there will always be some sort of drag against the whole thing...probably where KPL and the sort isn't sufficient, but some sort of grease like CRKs goop will be...

I'll tear it down again some day and add in the grease, see how it works in comparison, but where she is at now, its flickable...but not like PM2 easy...so I just thumb it and haven't been bothered.

Back