Strider Knives - Is This Typical?

snow3d

Gold Member
Hey hey,

Quick question for those that have more experience with Strider Knives than I do. I purchased an SNG (Aluminum/Ti) over the summer and have mixed feelings on the thing...well, mixed feelings about QC over at Strider anyhow. I absolutely love the knife but, here's the rub. When I got it (new) the blade centering was atrocious. It favored the show side by a heavy margin. No rubbing, just annoying. I tried to center the blade and effectively ended up with a fixed blade. To even get the blade close to centered the pivot had to be tightened past the point of actually pivoting. It also had a concerning amount of lock rock. Not exactly what I was expecting from a pricey knife from one of the most renowned makers. After scratching my head for a few days, I sent it off to Strider with a check for $25 (cuz they obviously need the money) to see what could be done. After two weeks with no contact from them I noticed that the check had been cashed. The knife arrived unannounced a few days after that.

They effectively just cranked the pivot down until the blade was centered, which required two hands to open and close the knife. Disappointing. From my view they did nothing but take another $25 from me and called it good. I then had to take matters into my own hands because they obviously couldn't be bothered. It honestly felt like the blade was getting bound up halfway through it's rotation. After doing a few tests I found that one of the scales was either slightly warped or the machining was out of spec (worn tooling?). Either way, If I put a .0045 shim in between the scales at the back screw the blade would rotate properly. Unsure exactly how to solve this, I began slowly taking material off the show side pivot washer. This did the trick as far as the pivot is concerned. However, I still can't center the blade without making a fixed blade out of a folder. Lockup happens at almost 50% and, there is sometimes still a bit of play and the occasional lock stick (minor but still there).

Is this typical? I honestly still love the knife. But, no other knife I own has had this sort of issue, regardless of cost. The Hinderer Eklipse I have is the literal definition of perfect execution. As is the TRM Neuton I own. Hell, even my $32 QSP Penguin has better action than this SNG. It's honestly hard to believe that Strider had at least two opportunities to remedy this problem but sent it out the door like this anyway. Is this typical? I feel like I bought a Chevy from the 70's when a new car that leaked oil was "good enough" GM's words, not mine. Does Strider get a pass because of name recognition? Did I get a lemon?

Apologies for all the words but, this has been chapping my backside since July.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had a few of them and mine all functioned fine and had good fit and finish. The ones I had were all the production models form a company that I believe is no longer in existence. Back then, their warranty process always seemed a bit strange to me, and anyone who complained about it was usually shot down by the fans. I guess it was a good thing I never had to use it. In any event, that would not be acceptable to me and I would let them know that, especially since I think all the new Strider's are supposed to be higher end. Their communication has always been a weak point, but maybe you can get someone to talk to and explain your situation. I would think they would take care of you eventually.

Last edited:
Had a SNG about 10 years ago. Came with only one washer. Crazy lock stick too. Never got an answer to my mails.

Needless to say, i sold all my Striders after that experience.

Last edited:
I had a few of them and mine all functioned fine and had good fit and finish. The ones I had were all the production models form a company that I believe is no longer in existence. Back then, their warranty process always seemed a bit strange to me, and anyone who complained about it was usually shot down by the fans. I guess it was a good thing I never had to use it. In any event, that would not be acceptable to me and I would let them know that, especially since I think all the new Strider's are supposed to be higher end. Their communication has always been a weak point, but maybe you can get someone to talk to and explain your situation. I would think they would take care of you eventually.
Kinda figured that I just got a lemon. There couldn't possibly be the huge demand for these knives if all of them are like the one I have. I should probably force the issue based on principle alone but, I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Had a SNG about 19 years ago. Came with only one washer. Crazy lock stick too. Never got an answer to my mails.

Needless to say, i sold all my Striders after that experience.
That's rough! Seems like a reasonable response, honestly. It's hard to keep the faith when something so basic gets missed.

This is why I buy from dealers who will readily replace a defective knife.
I can certainly appreciate that approach. But, you know how difficult it is to get your hands on these things. It's either wait and hope you get lucky to get one from an actual storefront. Or, you roll the dice and hope you don't get a lemon. Damn shame it's like that.

Between the massive amount of lies Mick Strider told to build his company (no, I'm not making it up, see thread below) and the quality control issues I've seen some friends run into, I avoid Strider Knives carte blanche now.

I hope they take care of your knife's problems, nobody should have to put up with these types of QC issues when they're dealing with a knife in this price range.

I hope they take care of your knife's problems, nobody should have to put up with these types of QC issues when they're dealing with a knife in this price range.
Agreed. I'm not sure how this thing made it out of the factory. It's not like they are manufacturing Victorian clocks over there. Aside from the pocket clip and screws there are only five pieces that make the knife. Seems like the QC process should be fairly simple.

That is unacceptable BS. That knife should function. Striders are not Shiros, but, they should open reliably.

S snow3d , maybe you can sell it ( and buy a Spartan SHF ).

maybe you can sell it ( and buy a Spartan SHF ).
I'm certain I could sell it as it is. But, then I'm setting someone else up for disappointment. Especially if they have experience with Striders that don't kinda suck. In that scenario I become the turd as opposed to Strider. Even though the knife is now what I would call 8/10 after I've re-worked it, it's not perfect. And I honestly don't feel like begging Strider to do the right thing. They had their chance. Customer service like this is bush league and, I'm embarrassed for them. (The Spartan SHF is a nice knife but, I'm not a fan of that huge pivot screw.) Different strokes and all. I'll probably just toss this thing in my toolbox and write Strider off like an ex girlfriend.

"new" as in from one of the recent drops or "used" but like new in box? Lock rock was more prominent in the pre "M" striders, really not typical on the newer ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ T T3X4SEDC ... Can't really speak to the date of manufacture as I picked this one up from eBay. It was definitely brand new. I can say that much. It is also stamped M Strider with the logo. I assume it's fairly recent. Regardless, I think I just got a lemon. After churching it up on my own the knife is useable and acceptable. Though, acceptable at this price point is a fail. I love the knife but, I just can't get behind it knowing how the company takes care of their customers. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs. That said, I'm about to firesale this thing if anyone is interested.

These are certanly not worth the money,plus this bs. About quality control,this is unacceptable for the amount of money you paid for it.Many other companies behave same as these guys.Theyre not worth to bother with at all.

Back