Benchmade Stripped screw on 945, need advice/help

So, long story short, I got my 945 with the green aluminum scales (side note: I love it). I was doing as I normally do upon getting a new knife and stripping it down to clean and lubricate it, aaaaaaand I accidentally stripped out one of the scale screws. And as my absolute bad luck would have it, it's one of the screws anchoring the liner. I have no idea how the hell to get this thing out. Anyone have advice?? Or am I screwed (pun intended)??

UPDATE: Told a super close friend (with a serious garage of tools) about this, he flat-out bought it off me. Acquired another 945, this one's a dream to strip and maintain. Massive thanks for all the advice and help, this will undoubtedly help me in the future.

Last edited:
Is the screw stripped or is it your driver bit? I just had this happen to me and I purchased a new driver and it grip the torx head with no problem.

Also, I usually just remove the blade to clean an axis lock knife. There’s really no need to disassemble the entire knife.

Is the screw stripped or is it your driver bit? I just had this happen to me and I purchased a new driver and it grip the torx head with no problem.

Also, I usually just remove the blade to clean an axis lock knife. There’s really no need to disassemble the entire knife.
It's the screw, and the driver is a Wiha with under one year of use behind it. Corners on the driver are still crisp as hell.

Also it's just something I do with every new knife I buy, so that I know how to take it down if I need to. Also I'm seriously thinking about swapping the aluminum scales for micarta or CF if/when they drop.

Since you haven't provided any photos then I'll make a guess. I would use a curved tip pick and try to get it under the screwhead enough that I can unscrew the stripped screw to try and get it to come out.

try tapping a small flat blade screwdriver into the screw's head/cavity. Try to get a real tight fit. place the knife on a flat surface, and the direct downward pressure, try unscrewing it, but with very small turning movements, until you feel it start to unscrew.

try tapping a small flat blade screwdriver into the screw's head/cavity. Try to get a real tight fit. place the knife on a flat surface, and the direct downward pressure, try unscrewing it, but with very small turning movements, until you feel it start to unscrew.
I actually don't have any flatheads that small, I don't think. Thiiiiiis is a situation that needs to be remedied lmao.

I actually don't have any flatheads that small, I don't think. Thiiiiiis is a situation that needs to be remedied lmao.

I guess I misunderstood earlier. For a stripped head, maybe you could use the end of some needle-nosed pliers to get a bite on it. I don't have a 945 so I just have to guess.

I guess I misunderstood earlier. For a stripped head, maybe you could use the end of some needle-nosed pliers to get a bite on it. I don't have a 945 so I just have to guess.
It's countersunk, otherwise that's actually a pretty good idea.

It's countersunk, otherwise that's actually a pretty good idea.

I meant poke the end of the needle-nosed pliers into the screw head to try and get a bite good enough to loosen the screw. If the needle-nosed pliers tips are too large, then you'll need to make a tool out of some old needle-nosed pliers or a screwdriver. I keep broken tipped screwdrivers and stuff in case I need to make a tool out of them later on.

I meant poke the end of the needle-nosed pliers into the screw head to try and get a bite good enough to loosen the screw. If the needle-nosed pliers tips are too large, then you'll need to make a tool out of some old needle-nosed pliers or a screwdriver. I keep broken tipped screwdrivers and stuff in case I need to make a tool out of them later on.
Ohhhhhh ok. Damn I need to get some better needle-noses haha. I just have about eight Torx wrenches I got from various Boker knives over the years (sidebar: WHY THE HELL can't more makers follow Boker's lead and provide tools for maintenance???)

A good set of easy-outs/ screw extractors work great ... be sure to get a set for small screws.
Any particular brands/models you recommend??? I've never had to actually tap a screw before, so IDK what to look for.

Any particular brands/models you recommend??? I've never had to actually tap a screw before, so IDK what to look for.
The Easy Outs are good quality I have used them to remove a couple stripped screws on knives before. Aldean Grabit Pro kits are very durable at a slightly higher price tag and are probably my first choice. Speaking of good needle nose pliers ... Vampliers make a set of needle nose that are made to remove stripped screws. They are handy but won't help a lot of recessed heads, but if you want a nice set you may want to look at them.

The Easy Outs are good quality I have used them to remove a couple stripped screws on knives before. Aldean Grabit Pro kits are very durable at a slightly higher price tag and are probably my first choice. Speaking of good needle nose pliers ... Vampliers make a set of needle nose that are made to remove stripped screws. They are handy but won't help a lot of recessed heads, but if you want a nice set you may want to look at them.
Holy shit. Dude, THANK YOU. I'm buying some next time I go out.

Back