SUBCOM In AUS8 IS HERE!!!!

Daywalker said:
Lemme know how the longer clip works out for ya...

Much better clip. :)
It makes opening the knife easier by giving your fingers a little more to grip on to. It's still very TIGHT however. Actually... it may even be tighter than my 1st. gen. :eek:

Terry,
Thanks again!

Outlaw45 said:
Much better clip. :)
It's still very TIGHT however.

It is very easy to soften it. You don't even have to take it off. I used a chisel (a large screwdriver works too), cushioned the tip with some tissue so the SF wouldn't get scratches, and then gently bent the clip ever so slightly by nudging the chisel between the clip and the knife. Overdid it a bit, but one stroke with a rubber hammer rectified that. Since then, the knife has been clipped to my jeans every day, and the clip provides a perfect hold.
Michael

clavichord said:
I used a chisel (a large screwdriver works too), cushioned the tip with some tissue so the SF wouldn't get scratches, and then gently bent the clip ever so slightly by nudging the chisel between the clip and the knife. Overdid it a bit, but one stroke with a rubber hammer rectified that.
:eek:

;) Thanks! :)

Hey everyone.
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the new version. Knifecenter says they dont have it yet in stock and the price from Boker seems a bit steeper than from various retailers still stocking the original version.

Thanks, Andrew

andkatz said:
Hey everyone.
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the new version. Knifecenter says they dont have it yet in stock and the price from Boker seems a bit steeper than from various retailers still stocking the original version.

Thanks, Andrew
Buy the old version. I'd imagine that most places won't sell V2 until V1 is gone. People shy away from V1 because of the 420J2 blade steel, but they are selling themselves short IMHO. This knife has edge retention that rivals some of my AUS-8 blades. They really got the most performane out of the 420J2 on this knife.

Less concerned about the steel than the clip length. I ride a bicycle and clipped knives, esp. short ones have a tendancy to bounce off or get pushed out of a pocket. Maybe I will bite the bullet and order from Boker directly.

You might check with Boker and see if they'll sell you an extra clip. Some companies will even give them to you. I know I've gotten a few from CRKT.

One of the things people have been saying about the Subcom F is that the clip is very tight, so you may fine it isn't so much of a problem. Many have thought it too stiff. It would be interesting to hear how it works for you.

andkatz said:
I ordered one direct from Boker today. Couldn't wait.
And Sir, it was one of the last things we shipped today.
Hope you like it.
Thanks, Terry

I just got in Aus 8 sub com from my local my knife shop yesterday. And I only had to pay $35. Needless to say I was pretty happy altogether, it was just hiding in the back of one of the display cases behind some old bokers. I was really surprised when I saw it was the aus 8 variant. I'm happy with it except I do think the clip is a little tight but I will let that break-in, I would be happier if that some studs were steel.

A friend of mine upon showing him the knife asked me what it was for, I jokingly replied general utility and light slashing as a deterrent. Does this sound accurate. Unfortunately my first and only so far cutting effort with this knife was to open a clamshell pack and the big belly on this knife slipped out of the hardened material fairly easily. What are the optimum uses for a big belly knife like this in the size range. Also is there a special reason for the grip notches on the back of the handle they are useful but they seem to have been put there for a special-purpose in my last thought does anyone know what the washers are made of, it is actually fairly smooth opening considering the strength of the lock but I was considering using a little mill tec
oh and one last thing I know there are a few people going modifications is there anybody making in shipping replacements for the top scale of this knife and if so what is the cost.

andkatz said:
I ordered one direct from Boker today. Couldn't wait.

Aloha and welcome andkatz,

Mahalo much for your support and thanks to ghostrider and TJT for taking care of you while I was gone!:)

Anyway, no worries on the clip tension. I sometimes practice with my SF carried IWB and have yet to lose either the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen...in fact, the first gen version is SO tight, I had to loosen it to use it!:rolleyes:

God bless and keep us posted!:thumbup:

A druid said:
I just got in Aus 8 sub com from my local my knife shop yesterday. And I only had to pay $35. Needless to say I was pretty happy altogether, it was just hiding in the back of one of the display cases behind some old bokers. I was really surprised when I saw it was the aus 8 variant. I'm happy with it except I do think the clip is a little tight but I will let that break-in, I would be happier if that some studs were steel.

A friend of mine upon showing him the knife asked me what it was for, I jokingly replied general utility and light slashing as a deterrent. Does this sound accurate. Unfortunately my first and only so far cutting effort with this knife was to open a clamshell pack and the big belly on this knife slipped out of the hardened material fairly easily. What are the optimum uses for a big belly knife like this in the size range. Also is there a special reason for the grip notches on the back of the handle they are useful but they seem to have been put there for a special-purpose in my last thought does anyone know what the washers are made of, it is actually fairly smooth opening considering the strength of the lock but I was considering using a little mill tec
oh and one last thing I know there are a few people going modifications is there anybody making in shipping replacements for the top scale of this knife and if so what is the cost.

Aloha A druid,

mahalo for your purchase! Okay...let's see if I can answer your questions:

I too, one day would like the studs to be made of steel.;)

Big belly allows for more cutting surface and makes for an adequate slasher. Try push cutting into clampacks next time...the thin, although big bellied blade WILL track well. Try the push cut and then steer the blade through...;)

Notches were simply for grip and to cause discomfort to a perp in an SD CQ situation. Also in the reverse grip, it aids the thumb to prevent it from slipping...;)

Washers are made of Nylon IIRC.

Modifications: Oh, my dear knifebrother who goes by potterma can assist you with such a request! He had made me a CF scale, and my wife has a polypurple and green G10 scale all made by the Master "Molester" Potterma!!! You can find him here in these SF threads...;)

Enjoy your SF and keep us posted! Mahalo:thumbup:

God bless:thumbup:

Terry...Please don't call me sir! Thanks for getting that out so quick. Congrats to Daywalker. I plan on replacing my Hideaway with the Sub-Com to avoid any possible hassles. It will see plenty of use at work.

andkatz said:
Terry...Please don't call me sir! Thanks for getting that out so quick. Congrats to Daywalker. I plan on replacing my Hideaway with the Sub-Com to avoid any possible hassles. It will see plenty of use at work.

Aloha andkatz,

Mahalo for your support, and do keep us posted on how the SF performs for you.

God bless and thanks:thumbup:

Ooh, I'm going to go look for some now. Always did like the design.
Can't wait to grab a LAVA too.

Unlurking to announce that I've joined the proud ranks of AUS-8 SUBCOM Folder owners.

By accident, too. Thought I was getting a 420J2 version off ebay as the auction didn't state otherwise, but when I flipped the blade open and over, the AUS-8 imprint was there. Made me feel kinda like Charlie when he found his golden ticket...

Regardless, I would've been very happy w/the original version, This is an incredible little knife - crazy sharp and solid in design. Heard about it on edcforums.com and knew I had to have it.

For my first knife in a few years, it's a great way to get reintroduced to small folders. I will happily confirm that the framelock is sturdy, and I love the generous choil!

And Chad, you are right about that sweet spot - opens like butter from there. Think I'll be following all of Chad's new projects with a lot of interest. I might be in the minority here, but I think it would be great to see different color OEM nylon handles on this sucker. It's got so much class...why not add a little style, too? ;)

senoBDEC said:
Ooh, I'm going to go look for some now. Always did like the design.
Can't wait to grab a LAVA too.

Mahalo much senoBDEC,

I hope you will find one and be happy with it. ;) Thanks for your kind words and hopefully the Lava will be out soon...I need one to replace the one Sal sent me!:eek:

God bless and thanks:thumbup:

mozilla said:
Unlurking to announce that I've joined the proud ranks of AUS-8 SUBCOM Folder owners.

By accident, too. Thought I was getting a 420J2 version off ebay as the auction didn't state otherwise, but when I flipped the blade open and over, the AUS-8 imprint was there. Made me feel kinda like Charlie when he found his golden ticket...

Regardless, I would've been very happy w/the original version, This is an incredible little knife - crazy sharp and solid in design. Heard about it on edcforums.com and knew I had to have it.

For my first knife in a few years, it's a great way to get reintroduced to small folders. I will happily confirm that the framelock is sturdy, and I love the generous choil!

And Chad, you are right about that sweet spot - opens like butter from there. Think I'll be following all of Chad's new projects with a lot of interest. I might be in the minority here, but I think it would be great to see different color OEM nylon handles on this sucker. It's got so much class...why not add a little style, too? ;)

Aloha and welcome mozilla,

LOL, thanks for the great "visual" regarding your AUS8 surprise!:D :D :D However, I think had Charlie won an AUS8 SF, grandpa Joe woulda took it from him!:D :rolleyes:

Mahalo for winning your SF off Ebay. Please keep us posted here as to how it performs for you, and thank you for your support.

Perhaps Boker will make colored scales, but if you want a killer custom, see the work done by my knifebro aka potterma aka SF Master Molester...:thumbup:

Until next time, take care and God bless:thumbup:

I just ordered one, can't wait to get it at home!! I'll let you know how it goes after some punishment :D

Back