& Such bracelets

Since you all work with leather and metal I am curious to see yours bracelets leather or some other material.
I braided mine, so here are two which I use
2zywsvk.jpg

29qk5cw.jpg

r0t9c3.jpg

2vxhy0n.jpg

e5h5vk.jpg

I like to wear this simple one I made with a piece of 3 mm thick shoulder. It's lined with suede and has a sam browne stud for simple closure.

Attachments

• g7.jpg
    g7.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 26
  • g8.jpg
    g8.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
very nice, ordered some studs for my next bracelet as well, this one is my first try, sadly it came out a bit too tight ;)

i will havev to see how i might get rid of the wrinkling, maybe wet forming... this one was just glued and sewn together in a dry state.

I like to wear this simple one I made with a piece of 3 mm thick shoulder. It's lined with suede and has a sam browne stud for simple closure.
Nice. I like the lining. My skin is very sensitive to certain metals like silver, but brass seems to be fine. My skin wears off the coating (if the stud is coated), oxidizes the brass then no problem. I wonder if others have problems with brass.

very nice, ordered some studs for my next bracelet as well, this one is my first try, sadly it came out a bit too tight ;)

i will havev to see how i might get rid of the wrinkling, maybe wet forming... this one was just glued and sewn together in a dry state.

Studs work surprisingly well. I much prefer them to snaps on bracelets/cuffs. On my overlays I precurve the leather, figure out the placement of the top exotic and glue it curved. It's a pita, but works well enough.

I'm going to do a simple overlay how-to soon. Probably cobra or another snake.

Very nice looking work guys. :thumbup:

Macan,
Great bracelets!! Any chance that you could point out a tutorial on how to braid one like the 2 stranded one?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
If you're looking for videos look for 4 strand round braid for the body and then Spanish Ring Knots (there are 2 passes and 3 passes variations of these). The stopper knot Macan did there is called a Pineapple knot. Its pretty darn complicated. The guy that taught me what little braiding I know called it the "dirty, little s.o.b. knot", and he'd been braiding most of his life. I'd recommend Bruce Grants books if you want to give it a try. The instructions on the different knots are very understandable, even for someone like me that has a hard time with this.

You got me guys. All my years of leatherwork I've never made a bracelet. I'm liking this thread.

Well Dave is almost right, only on this picture(at the begining of the thread, it s eight strand square braid which basically does the same job as four strand round braid, but is more "muy bravo"
jf7vv7.jpg

You can see that eight strand is fatter than four strand (one on the left, and two on the right side from black and orange)

I wear this one. Very nice work Macan I realy like your bracelets:thumbup:

Last edited:
so, here's the new bracelet... just some minor changes to the previous one. this one fits for example.
also there is still a lot to learn... like the fact that the edges don't take the dye that well when you burnish them before using the dye.
I'm also not quite sure as to what to do with the stitches on the inside, though they are not uncomfortable.
I also didn't glue the top piece on evenly... but you can't tell from the pictures... :)

Possum, if you burnish with Saddle Soap the dye will penetrate it pretty well.

I'm not sure how you stitch, but it looks similar to mine. After taking some measurements I mark the stitch line on the inside, then groove the line in. I then space the holes with an overstitcher wheel, then punch the holes. Shark is soft enough I don't need to groove the top. With snake I groove the leather under the snakeskin (before cementing it down), which helps get the thread in a groove without having to groove the thin skin. If I was stitching two layers of leather I'd groove both sides, starting with the top.

Hope that makes sense.

Possum, if you burnish with Saddle Soap the dye will penetrate it pretty well.

I'm not sure how you stitch, but it looks similar to mine. After taking some measurements I mark the stitch line on the inside, then groove the line in. I then space the holes with an overstitcher wheel, then punch the holes. Shark is soft enough I don't need to groove the top. With snake I groove the leather under the snakeskin (before cementing it down), which helps get the thread in a groove without having to groove the thin skin. If I was stitching two layers of leather I'd groove both sides, starting with the top.

Hope that makes sense.

thanks alot for all the input, and yes, it makes sense, the top was intentionally not grooved. but i will certainly have to groove the bottom in the future. otherwise our process is pretty similar. i'm currently lacking a decent marking tool (wife imposed budget constraints) so i am using an adjustable stitching groover (i am lacking enough practice to trace decently ;) ).

and about the saddle soap, i saw that tip in the pdf posted in the edge burnishing thread, already made it to my wishlist.

Alright, old problems solved, new ones arise! Haha, haven't gotten the pictures uploaded yet, but tomorrow.
Next bracelet is done, edges took the burnishing well, however, due to the fact that I didn't preform the bracelet, there are stretch lines on the outer part. I think horsewright mentioned this in his belt thread.
I dig the color and the finish though. First bracelet with the whole deal, wax finish, coating etc.

Back