"... & Such" category?

Not really a sheath per se, but hopefully ok to post it here :confused: .

Made a simple pouch for my Silky Saw, front & back:

SilkyPouch1.jpg

To make the opening stay somewhat open, I just folded the cordura over twice, and stiched it down.

Then sewed a chunk of 1.5" webbing to the inside top, and folded the whole thing over and stiched the side and bottm shut.

5/8" webbing and side-release buckles riveted on to make the closure and attachment loop.

SilkyPouch2.jpg

These are GREAT little saws!! Always EDC this'n in my home-made Murse (Man purse :eek: ), and wanted the option
of clipping it to the outside, or elsewhere during use.

Cheers,

Nice work, makes me want to get a Sewing maching and start making pouches again. Please keep posting pics of stuff you make. I for one would like to see more. :)

Heber

Where did you get your materials? Did you source them locally, or online?

Recently there was a thread that descended into "leather" versus "kydex", but as you've demonstrated, there's another option. Lots of knives come with sheathes made of nylon, plastic and not much else. Knives from Ranger, Ka-Bar and Ontario (and others, of course) come with nylon fabric sheathes. Creating them is a different skillset from the other two choices.

No slam to leather or kydex; I'm just looking for answers that work.

I agree with DutchV please give more information about their construction when you can. Would love to learn more about making Nylon sheaths and pouches. If I wasn't putting my spare money into leather working and shooting trips, I'd buy nylon and a good sewing machine. Looks fun to me.

Heber

River-8, that's some well planned and executed work. It's clean and really solid. Like some of the others I'm going to have to learn to make my own pouches.

Oh, and this is another $30 thread. I've been meaning to get a pack saw and you pushed me into the 170 with large teeth. After seeing everybody's comments I expect it will work out just fine.

Where did you get your materials? Did you source them locally, or online?

Living in a fairly small town, supplies must be order from afar...

Seattle Fabrics is a good source for things like Cordura and other hardware .
Oregon Leather is a good source for rivets and such... although I couldn't find
the harness rivets I use at their site.

... Recently there was a thread that descended into "leather" versus "kydex", but as you've demonstrated, there's another option.

For fixed blade knives I tend to go with Kydex; even though it has all the character of a zip-lock bag :rolleyes:,
but for me leather (which I prefer the esthetics of) isn't as practical in the field. Mostly because of
the moisture - everything gets WET here...

I agree with DutchV please give more information about their construction when you can.

This was a fairly simple project, I'll try to figure out a way to show how I make the side-release
attachment loops; is that the sort of thing you're after?

Cheers,

Vary your sources, practice your methods.

River-8, I'm curious about the stitching. Do you use a normal sewing machine or a heavy duty one, Whats the strip of fabric called that you put along the edges before you sew?

Attaching the straps with rivets is IMO nice. I do that a lot with leather. Where do you get the plastic buckles?

Thanks,

Heber

The stitching is done on an old (70's era?) home machine, its able to stitch quite a bit because it has metal gears
instead of the newer nylon/plastic types.

The material used for edging is called (oddly enough) 'edging tape,' and is a real pain to sew :grumpy: ...

Here's the Silky Saw pouch clipped to my SAR sheath:

FSH2-Silky-Sheath.jpg

Cheers,

Back