& Such! How to finish a Single Action Holster

I made my first holster last night for my Ruger Blackhawk and I am curious how to finish it. I already wet molded it, its just waiting for me to get home and dye it. But I am curious as to what finish I should use, Beeswax?

I have no holsters for it, so i have nothing to compare it to. What do i use to help retain its shape? After the wet mold its kind of hard, does it need to be harder?

Its nothing fancy and it ain't purty...but I made it:D

I would just give it coat of neatsfoot oil and a good buffing. After it dries it should stay more than hard enough to retain the shape and the oil will give it a nice protected finish, a little sheen (I don't care for shiny) a step up from matte and keep the leather just supple enough so it doesn't crack or split. Just my opinion :D

I makes it slightly more supple but I haven't seen any ill effects on the molding of the sheath. As I said, light coat, I don't saturate. You can always dilute it to a 50/50 if you have a concern.

You ask 12 people, you'll get 12 different answers...but any leather conditioner is gonna work....if you're near a Tandy store, I recommend you go there for help in a selection.
I used Doc Baley's Leather Tonic on this as I do every piece of leather I do...it will stay hard for a long time....but constant use will soften any leather, no matter what you do to it...
IMG_9815.jpg

Back