(& Such) Tribute bracelet for a friend.

Hey guys, I mentioned this bracelet in another thread. Here are some pics and back story.

My friend Jimmy contacted me a while back about doing this project. He's been a great customer, but moreover, has been a good friend. Jimmy was a police officer for many years and has recently been forced to retire as he has similar spinal problems as me. Paul Starzyk was also a police officer that worked with Jimmy. Paul was killed in the line of duty toward the end of 2008. I actually watched some videos of the procession for the funeral, and read up on Paul. By all accounts he was a good man, and his death was a huge loss for the department.

After Pauls death Jimmy had a metal tribute bracelet made up and wore it for a number of years. I'd made Jimmy a couple of sheaths as well as a snake skin cuff. When he asked me to cut, drill and rivet the inscribed portion of the bracelet to a new leather strap I felt honored.

Jimmy, as is his custom, sent the bracelet along with a detailed drawing of what he envisioned for the final product. I love when customers give me some input on what they want, and Jimmy is always up for suggestions.

The idea is to rivet the plate to a 3/4"x7" strap. A Sam Browne stud will provide the closure. He wanted it black with a "thin blue line" stitched down the center. I asked to line it and we agreed that it would be nice. Originally I was going to go with pigskin, but I like the look of emu better.

Design drawing and metal bracelet.

FSDgzml.jpg

Cut, drilled and edge sanded.

17bM8Dh.jpg

N8hdnsd.jpg

ZEYdWA4.jpg

3/4" strap cut and ready.

iZ523xP.jpg

KbLw6Y7.jpg

Dyed black. After dyeing I groove a center line and dye it blue.

hnSysOO.jpg

Blue line and spaced for stitching.

80bYEic.jpg

Grooved for lining. The stitching won't go under the plate as I don't really have room for it, but it will work nicely. The blue stitching won't go all the way across either since the rivet holes run right down the middle. It'll look like all of the stitching goes through though.

x4uv3eT.jpg

All holes drilled and blue line stitched.

4qqMqFr.jpg

ZM4oeDp.jpg

Plate riveted.

DSIFx8W.jpg

Mqxogcf.jpg

At this point I need to install the stud, then cement the liner on. After that I'll redrill the liner holes and stitch down the emu. This way the center stitching and all hardware will be covered. Should be pretty comfortable.

More to come.

All I can say is I am blown away (as usual) with your work Anthony. I am really looking forward to getting this back on my wrist, keeping Paul's memory alive. Thank you so much for taking this project on.

The pleasure is mine Jimmy. I'm grateful to have the opportunity. If there's anything that you think Pauls widow might like let me know.

I'm really liking this emu hide. It's like ostrich, but better in this case as the quills are smaller and closer together.

Glue up.

ehwekw6.jpg

CT42cVA.jpg

LHt3HJx.jpg

Trimmed. Also re-punched the holes for the stud.

NTn2nDt.jpg

Next is sanding, re-drilling the stitching holes, dyeing, stitching and finish work.

Anthony
Very nice work and more importantly for the remembrance of a fallen hero, serving others and maintaining justice in your community.

That looks amazing, you did a great job, cant wait to see it finished.

I finished this a few days ago, just been super busy. I really like how it came out, especially the emu lining. I think from now on all of my cuffs will be emu lined. It looks and feels awesome. Takes dye very nicely as well.

Anyone looking for a soft/thin veg tanned leather that will be exposed, I recommend trying a hide. It's really inexpensive for an exotic too. I'll probably buy a few more hides while they are available (SLC).

I'm not at home but I'll post pics in a couple of days.

very cool! i like the look of the finished emu and the bracelet is top notch. i think you mentioned somewhere that the emu is rather thin and pliable, right?
what dye did you use? that angel-something black acrylic?

very cool! i like the look of the finished emu and the bracelet is top notch. i think you mentioned somewhere that the emu is rather thin and pliable, right?
what dye did you use? that angel-something black acrylic?

The emu is probably 2/3oz, and it is pliable. It would work about as well as pigskin for lining because it has a little give. Stretch is good. I'll use pigskin for lining unless you can see the emu hide. The feet are really reptilian, but they aren't flat.

I used Fiebings pro oil black.

The leather paint is by Angelus. I used a coat on the edge then decided to sand it a bit more. I finished it with dye.

Final finish is beeswax and oil.

Thread is-

Black- 0.8mm Tiger/Ritza 7 stitches per inch

Blue- 1mm Tiger/Ritza 5 stitches per inch

You can see that the stitch length on the blue line is much longer. Even though the blue line is dyed I wanted to make the stitches broken up as little as possible. Different colors of thread and stitch lengths are always welcome to me. I'm probably the only one to notice. :)

Last edited:
Wonderful job Anthony:thumbup: It is a beautiful tribute. Thank you for putting your heart into it. It shows and makes the piece that much more special.

Absolutely perfect Ant. Thank you so much for taking this on, and translating my concept into such an awesome reality. You are truly a master at your craft, and a great friend as well.

na, i think it provides a nice contrast... i like the colours of the tiger thread.

Thanks bud. I feel that it's the small things that add up to nice work. Garys 15 minute method (after you're done spend an additional 15 minutes working on the quality). It does make a difference in the final product.

Wonderful job Anthony[emoji106] It is a beautiful tribute. Thank you for putting your heart into it. It shows and makes the piece that much more special.

Thank you very much. I've had to lean on the local pd more than once. When I was much younger I took the immature position of my peers in acting like the police were somehow against me, but the truth is that most are really good and helpful people. The fact that they are willing to put me and my family ahead of their own speaks volumes about their values.

Absolutely perfect Ant. Thank you so much for taking this on, and translating my concept into such an awesome reality. You are truly a master at your craft, and a great friend as well.

You and I have a great deal in common, some of it negative, but even more, positive. I really value your friendship, as I do many of the fine folks here. It may seem odd to some folks simply because these friendships are developed over the internet, but they really are life enriching and true.

I'm very far from a master at the leather work craft, but I do try to improve on every project. I'm not sure if you are aware, but all of my work carries a lifetime warranty against defects. :)

Thanks for your kind words Jimmy.

Back