Surge... failed me kinda...

Yesterday I was at a job site and I needed my Surge so I whipped it out...

I opened the bit holder and the Phillips bit hit the ground... I thought WTF?...:eek:

I retrieved the bit and slid it back into the holder and it promptly fell out again... Upon closer inspection I was saddened to see that the tiny and I mean TINY bit clip was sprung... So I tried to get it back in place... that little sucker popped out with some force, bounced of my nose and went off to places unknown... Grrrrr...:mad:

Anyone else have the same problem? Fixes?

I posted the same thing some time ago. I never liked the idea of that little bit in the first place. When I found out that little spring was only jammed in a hole, I really felt let down. I was lucky enough to find the spring after it flew out, and reinstalled it.:grumpy:

Thanks for the warning guys. I haven't had this happen to me (yet) but I can see how easy it could happen.

I'm thinking about putting a little drop of clear nail polish on each side of the hole, so the spring can't fall out.

JOOLIESEWS said:
Thanks for the warning guys. I haven't had this happen to me (yet) but I can see how easy it could happen.

I'm thinking about putting a little drop of clear nail polish on each side of the hole, so the spring can't fall out.

Great idea JOOLIESEWS, I'm careful now when reversing the bit because thats when mine popped-out;)

I almost bought a Surge or a Charge, but with all the problems I have read about people having with them I am glad I didn't spend all that money on what appears to be a shoddy line of tools from Leatherman.

I had the same experience with my Charge, as with some Vics I was asked to clean-up and lubricate. What I did was to get the spring out and slightly "open-up" the rolled end which goes into the holder, then I gently hammer the rolled spring end back into the holder. Nice and tight fit. =)

I haven't had that problem (yet) but one thing that really annoys me is that when I use the mini flat head screw driver the phillip head driver slides off its resting place and down into the spring and then I have to go and find another pair of pliers to dislodge it. It slides over with the tiniest amount of force (I can make it do this by pushing down on it with my finger) but it only get stuck when I've put a little more pressure on it like when I remove/replace clips on my Spyderco's. I'm think I'm going to order me an SOG and see how the quality compares. I have heard lots of good things about SOG plus I like the idea of being able to change the implements.

josekym said:
I had the same experience with my Charge, as with some Vics I was asked to clean-up and lubricate. What I did was to get the spring out and slightly "open-up" the rolled end which goes into the holder, then I gently hammer the rolled spring end back into the holder. Nice and tight fit. =)

IT WORKED.... Thanks for the idea... and when I was done it was a "Head Slapper"... why oh why did'nt I thunk of that???

Sorry guys but you could have saved yourself a hole lot of trouble and got one of these ;)

Copyofvictorinox_swisstool2wallpaa.jpg

Duncan

@dunc5,

Right on the money!

Yeah, I actually EDC one of those (SwissTool X), and it is my favorite multitool... Built like a tank and ruggedly elegant, if I may say so myself. If you notice the scissor spring, it is also prone to falling out under just the right circumstances. Not that it has already happened to mine (STX), but many of the beat-up SAKs I clean-up which have the same scissors spring build exhibit a certain "looseness" in the area where the spring is mounted. =)

josekym said:
@dunc5,

Right on the money!

Yeah, I actually EDC one of those (SwissTool X), and it is my favorite multitool... Built like a tank and ruggedly elegant, if I may say so myself. If you notice the scissor spring, it is also prone to falling out under just the right circumstances. Not that it has already happened to mine (STX), but many of the beat-up SAKs I clean-up which have the same scissors spring build exhibit a certain "looseness" in the area where the spring is mounted. =)

I have had the scissor spring break on a 15 year old Huntsman and i agree it does look a weakness on the Swisstool but here is the BIG difference , on the Surge if you loose/break the bit retaining spring you run the risk of loosing the bit and so the screwdriver which is no joke if its dark with the wind howling and rain lashing down , but on the Swisstool if the scissor spring breaks you can still use the scissors , i agree not as easily but not all scissors have springs .Your not left with a part missing .
I dont know if the Surges bit holder is more beefed up then the Churge but this is another weakness http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386331

Dunc

Back