Svord Peasant; knife review

This is a light review mostly to complain about a design flaw.

The Svord Peasant has a nice bushcrafty old school aesthetic. And it appears to meet a European knife standard for several of those countries, no locking, and being designed the way it is.
kviLOym.jpg

Ergo's are decent enough and feathersticking is passable. It's a bit slicey and tends to bite/dig into the wood rather than feathering, or glide across the outside of the edge. Changing the bevel is required, but nothing too difficult with a silicone carbide stone.
75NqW8z.jpg

I noticed the tip of my Peasant looked like it was touching the frame screw while closed.
DRJColD.jpg

After taking it apart, I had confirmation that the edge of the blade indeed touches the frame screw while closed. This detail seems so easily avoidable, I was annoyed it got overlooked. So, I made a post to rant a little. All in all the Svord Peasant is decent enough and unique enough that it's worth it if only to screw around with some bushcrafting activities, but nothing more. Hope this was helpful to someone, it was one of those reviews I questioned the point given it's only a $20 knife. Was still annoyed, so here you go, lol.
DeB1gmi.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, this is a known issue. If you want to fix it, there are three approaches:
1. Put a plastic guard around the rear screw.
2. Replace the stop pin with another of a larger diameter.
3. Reprofile the blade.

I think 1 is kinda weak sauce because it doesn't really address the issue. I did 2, but eventually did 3 anyway.

I agree, this sucks, and could have been easily avoided by Svord. However, once you address this issue, the Peasant becomes a fantastic knife.
svord.gif

I have the wood handle version and mine is the same way. Thankfully it touches up easily. The long tang is great for sparking a ferro rod.

actually, I've found the best fix is to snug down the bottom screw, making a narrower channel that pinches the sides of the blade when it closes
It bothers me too that they overlooked that detail, but there's so many ways to fix it due to the simple construction of the knife, I think it's forgivable.

actually, I've found the best fix is to snug down the bottom screw, making a narrower channel that pinches the sides of the blade when it closes
It bothers me too that they overlooked that detail, but there's so many ways to fix it due to the simple construction of the knife, I think it's forgivable.
You mean, just don't push the blade down all the way?

You mean, just don't push the blade down all the way?
Kind of- it's the same technique people use for Hignokami, where they pinch the brass closed so the blade closes with the shoulders resting on the metal.
here, the svord's blade will next in between the pinched handle scales.

Get it right and you'd have to push pretty firmly to get the edge to make contact with the brass pin.

Kind of- it's the same technique people use for Hignokami, where they pinch the brass closed so the blade closes with the shoulders resting on the metal.
here, the svord's blade will next in between the pinched handle scales.

Get it right and you'd have to push pretty firmly to get the edge to make contact with the brass pin.
That might work most of the time, but for OCD types like me, is there a guarantee that you won't make contact some of the time?

One of the common misconceptions about the Peasant is that it will open accidentally in the pocket. For this reason, I like to tighten the back pivot so it has nice retention, press the blade all the way down to the stop, so I am sure 100% of the time. Never even came close to accidental deployment.

Here is mine with a larger stop pin. I also removed some belly from the edge. Lots of clearance now. For an inexpensive knife that lacks refinement, a little elbow grease goes a long way.
img_2023-02-25-13-38-07-0342.jpg

That might work most of the time, but for OCD types like me, is there a guarantee that you won't make contact some of the time?

One of the common misconceptions about the Peasant is that it will open accidentally in the pocket. For this reason, I like to tighten the back pivot so it has nice retention, press the blade all the way down to the stop, so I am sure 100% of the time. Never even came close to accidental deployment.

Here is mine with a larger stop pin. I also removed some belly from the edge. Lots of clearance now. For an inexpensive knife that lacks refinement, a little elbow grease goes a long way.
img_2023-02-25-13-38-07-0342.jpg
let me put it this way- I've never had it accidentally make contact. I have a brass pin that is free from marks from the edge. I've also never had it open accidentally in my pocket. There's plenty of other fixes for anyone who wants to take the knife apart, but it's just a note to say you don't have to.

let me put it this way- I've never had it accidentally make contact. I have a brass pin that is free from marks from the edge. I've also never had it open accidentally in my pocket. There's plenty of other fixes for anyone who wants to take the knife apart, but it's just a note to say you don't have to.
What are these plenty of other fixes? I'd like to learn more.

What are these plenty of other fixes? I'd like to learn more.
You can make new scales that move the screw holes back 1/4-1/2 inch.
you can wrap the pin in a piece of leather thong - tie it off
you can wrap the stop pin with a piece of leather thong - tie it off.
you can increase the size of the stop pin
you can make a wooden spacer to go over pin
sharpen the blade back until it bottoms out on the stop pin
you could make a wooden insert for holes in the scales and use a smaller chicago screw
you could build up the side of the blade that contacts the stop pin with epoxy

This is just stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

You can make new scales that move the screw holes back 1/4-1/2 inch.
you can wrap the pin in a piece of leather thong - tie it off
you can wrap the stop pin with a piece of leather thong - tie it off.
you can increase the size of the stop pin
you can make a wooden spacer to go over pin
sharpen the blade back until it bottoms out on the stop pin
you could make a wooden insert for holes in the scales and use a smaller chicago screw
you could build up the side of the blade that contacts the stop pin with epoxy

This is just stuff I can think of off the top of my head.
Thanks for making the list.
Of these, I favor the ones where the blade doesn't make contact with anything.

Thanks for making the list.
Of these, I favor the ones where the blade doesn't make contact with anything.

Yeah, to each their own. It's the strong suit of the knife. It's cheap and simple construction makes troubleshooting a breeze. You're able to solve problems as your skill set, tool set and inclination dictate.

Back