Swiss Army Knife Question

What is the hook on Swiss Army knives for, my Cybertool and my Champ both have a hook.

What is the purpose of the hook?

In Europe, most Butcher shops wrap their meat in paper then tie it with twine. The hook allows packages to be carried comfortably. Hook the twine and the knife is the handle

Like everyone else has said, traditionally its for carrying packages wrapped in twine. You can use it for a lot of other stuff if you're creative though. Ive used it in conjuntion with the tweezers to hold things, and Ive seen other people use it as a prop, and to store a small magnet (I think I saw Felix Immler keep the magnet in it). I don't use it often, but Im glad it's there.

To pull the springs when you are setting up/taking down the kids’ trampoline. To carry big jute sacks of firewood. Or other things

You can use it to avoid touching things with your hands, such as a dirty keypad. The little nub on the end of the hook is great for pushing small buttons. The hook also works great for pulling out a hot oven rack or lifting hot cookware off a fire by its bail. It's great for tugging on cordage or laces. It also makes a handy kickstand for your SAK, which turns it into a nice little stand for propping up your smart phone screen while you watch a video.

It's not very good for hooking a fish. Don't try that.

To hold your purse.

That takes me back. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually saw someone with a purse. Do people actually still use those?

These days I think men should start carrying them. We can stuff them with all of our EDC gear. We'll call it a "murse" (=man-purse). My little Maxpedition could use a strap or two. Maybe then I'd actually carry it more often.

You can attach you shoelace to the SAK ring and use the hook to lift your keys that fall somehwere that you can't reach by hand.
Yea, I have never had that happening but you never know!

Also: yes people still use purses (mostly women). Totepacks seem to be the thing today though.

In Europe, most Butcher shops wrap their meat in paper then tie it with twine. The hook allows packages to be carried comfortably. Hook the twine and the knife is the handle

I'm sure that was true at one point. But I've lived in Europe for most of the past 30 years and have never seen meat tied up with twine. Ever.

Hay bales, 5 gallon Home Depot buckets when the plastic breaks off the handle, used it on springs before, it’s surprisingly handy

Back