swiss tool not 100% stainless steel???

ckl

i heard some said it is not.....is it true???so wave will be much better...... :confused:

ckl said:
i heard some said it is not.....is it true???so wave will be much better...... :confused:

I don't know who the 'some' that say it are but they're wrong. Whatever the Swisstool is, it is entirely stainless. Mine's been used in all weather, put away wet, and has never shown a spot of staining or rust. If stain resistance is your only criteria for a multitool, you need to look deeper... :rolleyes: How about tool layout, durability of the overall mechanism, and comfort during use? There's probably not a multitool on the market that will rust appreciably in anything except long term salt water exposure... They're ALL stainless...

leatherman said that wave is 100% stainless steel but victorinox do not claim that swiss tool is 100% stainless steel..... :eek:

Except for, I believe the file, the SwissTool is all stainless. In fact ,much like their SAKs, Victorinox plates most all of the steel parts so it is even more rust resistant then unplated stainless.

The casehardened file is chrome plated to prevent rust.

- Frank

A little off topic here.......I apologize.......Is the Swiss Tool made in the U.S?
I have heard that they were.....

Kap

FYI-

I just bought a new Swisstool RS of another forumite. It is made in Switzerland and is 100% stainless steel. Fit and finish are at least as good as Leatherman, and the design is excellent. The Cordura sheath stinks, though, but that is pretty common with most companies.

Regards,
Clayton

frank k said:
Except for, I believe the file, the SwissTool is all stainless. In fact ,much like their SAKs, Victorinox plates most all of the steel parts so it is even more rust resistant then unplated stainless.

The casehardened file is chrome plated to prevent rust.

- Frank
here is some reviewer in amazon.com:

An eye for detail, July 16, 2003
Reviewer: madinventor (see more about me) from the corporation of - USA
One of the two best multi-tools on the market today. (the other being the Leatherman SuperTool 200)

PROS:
1) Strong pliers with comfortable grip
2) All blades can open while pliers are closed and all blades lock
3) Useful Chisel blade
4) Anti-rust finish
5) Heavy Duty steel

CONS:
1) The file on the "X" model seems to be made of aluminum. After some use the "steel" plating chipped off. The Leatherman file is much tougher and can be used on wood or metal.
2) You might break your nails trying to open the blades.

*UPDATE*
>> I sold sold the "X" model and purchased the "RS" model thereby trading the cheap file for a curved serrated blade. I like this tool much better now.

Best steel, nice design, some unique features, July 27, 2003
Reviewer: A home improvement enthusiast from Portland, Oregon United States
The original model of this very sturdy tool appealed to me so much that I bought it despite its high price. After several years of using it almost daily, I can say it was worth the price. It beats all three different Leatherman models I have owned in these respects:
1. The steel is both harder tempered and tougher, so the blades hold an edge better and the pliers cuts harder wire without visible damage to cutters.
2. The blade locking method is straightforward and doesn't require fumbly procedures that might lead awkward users to injury.
3. The mirror finish is easier to clean than the sanded finish of Leatherman's products.
4. Each blade has its own friction spring, so blades fold out individually, not in fumbly clusters.
5. Grip and pliers are comfortably man-sized and plain, without needless pointy irritating edges or geeky contours.
6. The chisel blade can serve as a 66-block punchdown tool (handy for absentminded electricians).

Two things could use improvement on this tool, though:
a. The cast parts that lock the blades are evidently not stainless steel, and can corrode over long use. The locks on my set have corroded but never failed to work.
b. The double-cut, double sided file blade might be more usefully traded for a bonded diamond grit type of file to work harder materials.

In sum, this Forschner Victorinox tool is the best of its type among all I have owned or used, but it is not perfect. It is a bit sad that the hometown Leatherman company that apparently invented the class doesn't make the best tool. It must be cheap Swiss labor that gives Forschner an unfair advantage.

so i doubt that some parts of swisstool is not stainless steel. :yawn:

1) The file on the "X" model seems to be made of aluminum. After some use the "steel" plating chipped off. The Leatherman file is much tougher and can be used on wood or metal.

Hoohoo!!! That's a funny one. This is straight from the Victorinox literature - "The metal saw and file is case-hardened and hard chrome-plated, so that even iron and steel can be sawn or filed."

I've seen spots and discoloration on my buddy's LM juice. Never seen 1 spot of brown on all of my SAKs, assuming that SAKs and swisstools have identical steel.

bama_lou said:
I've seen spots and discoloration on my buddy's LM juice. Never seen 1 spot of brown on all of my SAKs, assuming that SAKs and swisstools have identical steel.

yes,AFAIK,vic is using the best steel in their tools........i never had any stain in em too....but leatherman and wenger is not so gd......

btw,if the swisstool spirit is really 100 % stainless steel,then i may consider to buy one..... :D

Back