Sword Belts and Frogs

Hello. I recently got a Cold Steel Hand and a Half Sword and Dagger. Can anyone recommend the best sources for sword belts and frogs? I don't see a sword category here, but there are categories for other non-knife blades; I don't know of another more sword-specific forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.

For Middle Ages European swords, a sword belt is a technical thing and highly complex. DBK would be among the best, but you should know that a scabbard, belt, and suspension harness would run you a minimum of $2,200.

For Middle Ages European swords, a sword belt is a technical thing and highly complex. DBK would be among the best, but you should know that a scabbard, belt, and suspension harness would run you a minimum of $2,200.
I mean, they don't have to be. But then Middle Ages Europe covers a few hundred years of technology and development.

Todd Cutler and Scholagladiatora on youtube have a couple of videos on scabbards and belts, along with how to attach your sword to your belt without a lot of complexity.

That said Todd's Workshop / Cutler sell both swords and scabbards IIRC.

I mean, they don't have to be. But then Middle Ages Europe covers a few hundred years of technology and development.

Todd Cutler and Scholagladiatora on youtube have a couple of videos on scabbards and belts, along with how to attach your sword to your belt without a lot of complexity.

That said Todd's Workshop / Cutler sell both swords and scabbards IIRC.
That is true, I mean, it's like a sword itself. Every part of of a fighting sword, no matter what type or culture, was an iterative and responsive improvement on previous designs. So were scabbards, belts, harnesses, and armor. If you just want a belt and a way to attach a sword to a belt, it could really be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. The OP just asked what the best would be, so I gave him the best scabbard maker I could think of offhand.

That said, here are some videos talking about sword suspension ranging from more simplistic (though not as simple as just carrying the sword) to more complicated as systems developed through the ages. I am not familiar with DBK, and have only seen Tod's work, but don't own any.

Hello. I recently got a Cold Steel Hand and a Half Sword and Dagger. Can anyone recommend the best sources for sword belts and frogs? I don't see a sword category here, but there are categories for other non-knife blades; I don't know of another more sword-specific forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.
The forum rules say not to link to non-sponsoring vendors, and none of the sites I know have a presence here. What I can say is that functional frogs, belts, and baldrics at the entry level are produced by Deepeeka and Windlass Steelcrafts. There are multiple vendors and resellers of their gear, Google it out and find some sites. Both companies are known for having wobbles in their quality control, but they are good products for deciding if you want to invest more heavily in small shop gear or custom. I would stay away from etsy, many of the makers there are migrating platforms due to the onerous rules and fees.

It depends on what you want. If you just something that is vaguely medieval I would check with museum replicas limited to an inexpensive off the shelf item. If you want something customized for you there are not many options. You might try googling custom scabbards.

Back