tachyon

I love benchmade balisongs they are all i have ever owned, besides a couple of manila folders, but i also love microtech knives and am considering buying a tachyon, i would like to know if the Tachyon is worth the $200.00 price, when i could purchase 2 benchmades for the dough?

I don't have a Tachyon so I can't answer your question, but if you do a search in this forum, you will find many long threads about this exact question. Personally, $200 for a balisong is about 2/3 of the way to getting my own custom, so I'd rather save some more and get a Dobruski.

As I've said many a time, and stick to, is that IMHO the tachyon is worth the money. Just like the difference's that i've noticed between other MT's that i've handeled and own, and the equally desirable products from BM and others, the Tachyon is the same notch above...Just my .01 :)

The Tachyon is SWEET. Smoothest thing I have ever handled. I also like the size for carry. Get it, you won't regret it.

Can anyone compare the Tachyon to a custom such as a Dobruski? I had the same dilemma and opted for a Benchmade 43. Now I'm ready for the next level of balisong. If your choices are between a Bechmade or Tachyon I would go with the Tachyon. But if customs are worth it my advise would be to get a Benchmade now and a custom later.

rovman, if you had no balisongs, a BM is more valuable for its cost. As far as you own BM balisongs, Tachyon will give you more than twice stimulation to you feeling than two BMs!

Size, weight, and balance are within your guess from Tachyon pix. Its action with no play (eh, almost no play) while flipping will give you totally new feeling. Its point is much pointier, and the edge when out of box is much sharper than BM's. Its larger holes in the handles give you better grip when starting opening/closing. Tang pins fit handle "dings" better than BM's. If these advantages are worth $100 for you, Tachyon is worth its extra cost to you IMHO.

Mr. Rovman,

First, welcome to our humble forum.

Second, you may want to read my Tachyon review by clicking here.

Personally, I think Tachyon is a great knife. I've called it "The Swiss watch of balisongs," and it really is. It's very well-made.

A fine Swiss watch is a good investment. Not only do they keep excellent time, but they're very well-built and often last a life time. But, they are very expensive. Entry-level is around $1000.

Today, for about $100 you can buy a Timex Ironman or a Casio G-Shock that will keep time just as well and be just about as durable.

When I say Tachyon is the Swiss watch of balisongs, I mean that it's very well-made, functions very well, and may last a life time. But, it's $250.

Benchmade's 3x and 4x series Bali-Songs are also very functional (I don't think Tachyon flips significantly better at all), and very durable (In fact, I suspect that, with fewer parts, the BM Bali-Songs will, long term, prove, overall, more durable than Tachyon). And, it's not hard to find 'em for $125, half the price of Tachyon, and often for less.

So, why do people by expensive Swiss watches if a Casio G-Shock for a tiny fraction of the price will keep time just as well and be just as durable and reliable? One word: style. And Tachyon has got style that won't quit.

Yeah that knife looks very sexy. I remember when I was in high school ( 18 yr. ago or so)
Butterfly knife was the thing. Everybody was doing all those crazy moves to Impress the girls
I have not touched one since my high school days. ( What ever happened to my $15.00 Knife ??) After reading this post, I have decided to get the Micro Tech Tachyon !!

Back